Rib Question

Started by JML54, August 24, 2011, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JML54

Hi All
I am going to be smoking 12 lbs of St Louis style ribs tomorrow.  Planning on using the 3-2-1 method.  I have a stock OBS with a dual probe PID (going with a 90 watt element next month).  My smoker has a hard time maintaining temps > 175 near the top two racks when the cabinet is that full.  I was planning on rotating the racks during the 3 and 2 portions the cook.  Are there other things I should consider with respect to time and or temperature?  Should I lengthen the cooking time? 
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Joe

Once I figure out how, I will post some photos.  Tomorrows ribs are in the fridge wearing a beautiful reddish coat of rub.

GusRobin

the 3-2-1 is a guide, the ribs will be done when they start to pull from the bone and are tender (use a toothpick to test). So adjust your 2-1 time accordingly.

Yes the top racks will see a lower temp until the cabinet evens out, if ever. I rotate every hour but I have the dual element so I recapture temp quickly.

Keep your vent open.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Last week I did 6 racks of BB and used the 3-2-1 method. I never got up to 225. I didn't rotate any racks. They all came out perfect.  I don't like opening the door cause you loose to much heat.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JML54

The last time I did ribs it was around 7 pounds on 2 racks and the 3-2-1 was more like 3-1.5-.75 and the ribs were awesome.  I've been considering adding a brick or two to mediate temp loss when I open the door.  Just seems like that will take up precious space.
Thanks
Joe

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JML54 on August 24, 2011, 03:44:33 PM
The last time I did ribs it was around 7 pounds on 2 racks and the 3-2-1 was more like 3-1.5-.75 and the ribs were awesome.  I've been considering adding a brick or two to mediate temp loss when I open the door.  Just seems like that will take up precious space.
Thanks
Joe

Joe put the bricks down on the catch pan around the water pan close to the heating element. This wont affect any of the space on the racks
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

When you open that door you lose more than heat -- you lose moisture.
And that's heated moisture; the holy grail for ribs.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

JML54

Does this sound reasonable?  Rotate once during the 3 hour smoke, add a large shot of boiling water to the pan.  Leave everybody where they land during the 2 hour (or less) foil time and watch the probe temps closely.  How important is keeping water in the pan during the foil time?  The humidity was something I hadn't really thought of.  Obviously I am new to smokers and smoking.  I am concerned about leaving that much meat with 30+ degree differences between bottom and top racks.   Thank you for taking time to answer these questions.     
Joe

Habanero Smoker

When I smoke spareribs I usually have three racks, and the forth for the trimmings. If they are untrimmed, I take the skirt meat off, remove the membrane, and cut off three ribs on the small end. Cutting the last three ribs off, you can place the the rest of the slab on one rack. I place the trimmings on a separate rack.

I only apply 2 hours of smoke (pecan), and rotate every two hours - top to bottom; front to back. Keep in mind that I have a dual element, but used the same procedure when I had a single element. I don't foil, but if you foil and the seal is tight, you can run the smoker without water in the bowl; because there will not be grease drippings.

As mentioned they are done when they are done. Often with spareribs I don't get that pull back of the meat on many slabs that I have cooked, so you can't always depend on that as a sign. Note: I don't like fall off the bone, I like more texture in my meat.

The below link gives you more information:
When Are Ribs Ready?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)