Butt for pulled pork

Started by Mach1, August 26, 2011, 11:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mach1

Next on my list is a butt, so I picked up a 5lb. Boston butt roast, will this work for pulled pork? Next I've fallen in love with Jans rub so I'm just going to rub with that do I need to mustard it, or oil it first? I've read(including in a post just below mine) about CT what is that? Any other pointers?

FLBentRider

That will work, the mustard is optional, as well as the CT (Carolina Treet)

I would apply 4-6 hours of smoke @225F and continue to cook (empty/refill water bowl after four hours) @225F until your IT is 195-200F

You can rest it in FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) for a few hours to stage it until serving time.

Expect it to take 12 hours or so, maybe more, maybe a bit less.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Mach1, first of all, thank you for the comments re: Jan's Rub.  Jan is my wife.  I will pass along your comment to her.

FLBR has pretty much given you all you need to know.  There are many variations to prepping a butt.  Recently I started trimming the fat cap off, applying molasses and then the rub.  Many apply mustard first like you described.  Still others use oil and then the rub of choice.  Make it like you want it but FLBR has you headed in the right direction.

ghost9mm

What they said, I would only add, if you don't like what was recommended and you have your own idea, heck give it a shot...you might end up being the next Bobby Flay...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

sounds like your on the right track

classicrockgriller

Butts are the most forgiving piece of meat you will smoke.

I've injected them, de-boned them, cut them up in to sections and tied

them back together after the smoke, scored the fat cap, Turbo cooked

them in the smoker at 260* to 280*, slapped them, and ................

They all turned out Great.

Like FLBR said get the IT up in the 190 to 200 range and give it a long

FTC and you got some "Good Eats".

A butt after you pull it and bag it in the fridge is one of those things that

is better the second day. The bark gets to make friends with the pulled

meat while sitting in the fridge.

Quarlow

Mach1, I am not a huge fan of mustard. I use a bit on hotdogs and I do like course mustards. But I used the CYM (cheap yellow mustard) slather on my pork butt and was very surprised. It won't taste like mustard trust me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mach1

Thanks for the response everyone, I couldn't wait so I figured I'd just try something out, but I figured I'd just try what sounded good so I rubbed it down with mustard and then some of Jans rub then wrapped it up nice and tight with some serran wrap for a good nights rest, I figure I'll throw it in the smoke this evening for dinner tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Quarlow

You will love it. With Jan's rub its the bomb.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.