Cold Smoked Salmon

Started by Hunkydory, January 22, 2007, 06:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Quote from: manxman on February 06, 2007, 04:32:30 AM

QuoteHi Kummok, i just looked at the Wusthof u.k. site very impressive range, thanks 

Ditto.  ;)

Not tried the knife I got yet LS, hope to this weekend.

Keep us posted Manx. I'm real interested in this.

manxman

QuoteKeep us posted Manx. I'm real interested in this.

Sure will Ice, hope it also helps solve the problem of trying to thinly slice my cold smoked back bacon as well!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Previous attempts have been very hit and miss, although the misses typically come when i get hungry after a few beers!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: manxman on February 06, 2007, 08:52:19 AM
Previous attempts have been very hit and miss, although the misses typically come when i get hungry after a few beers!!  ;) :D

Watch those "misses", Manxman.....don't want your new forum handle to be "Stubs"! ;)

Note to Gizmo....I definitely agree with you on the purchase/use of a knife. Each and every one of them has to be a separate and distinct test drive/feel/purchase. Wish you could take em' home for a week before purchase, especially at the prices they get! As far as the sharpener, I'm too old and set in my ways to learn too many new things...(not enough ROM left in the grey matter!), and I prefer to use the Wusthof steel that I inherited from my dad...he bought it in his early twenties (around 1936) for a brief stint as a meatcutter. Unbelievable that after 70 years and countless moose/caribou/deer/sheep/elk/etc., the steel still puts a razor edge on my 'Classic' blades! Plus, it just "feels" right! ;)

Gizmo

Nice inheritance.  Guess that answers my question on will I ever have to replace my sharpening steel.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteWatch those "misses", Manxman.....don't want your new forum handle to be "Stubs"!

Haha... LOL  :D
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on February 07, 2007, 01:14:10 AM
QuoteWatch those "misses", Manxman.....don't want your new forum handle to be "Stubs"!

I already have a friend named "Stumpy" and I'm SURE you don't want to be related to him Manx. :o :D ;D ;)

LilSmoker

Quote from: iceman on February 07, 2007, 08:56:24 AM
Quote from: manxman on February 07, 2007, 01:14:10 AM

I already have a friend named "Stumpy" and I'm SURE you don't want to be related to him Manx. :o :D ;D ;)

:o ;D ;D ;D
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

nodak

Hmmm, Smoked fingers is that like smoked pigs feet or jowls?

iceman

Quote from: nodak on February 07, 2007, 01:02:30 PM
Hmmm, Smoked fingers is that like smoked pigs feet or jowls?
Depends I suppose whether or not his finger nails were clean at the time. :o :D
Man, that hurts just thinking about it.

manxman

QuoteNot tried the knife I got yet LS, hope to this weekend.

QuoteKeep us posted Manx. I'm real interested in this.

Well, as far as I am concerned the salmon knife I bought is very good for the price. Sliced some cold smoked salmon very nicely and also used it on some ham and bacon.  :D

Sure you could get better if you came up with the £££/$$$'s but for what I want it is great.

Only thing I did take care with was to hand wash it rather than use the dishwasher, don't think the wooden handle (in particular) would do well in the dishwasher.

Manxman

LilSmoker

Hi Manx, i'm glad to hear you're happy with the knife, i might get one myself for that price, mine is ok but far from top quality, it did do a good job on my pastrami though, i got nice wafer thin slices, and it performs pretty good with salmon.
I also hand wash all my cooking knives  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes