Smoked Lake Trout

Started by mapleleafsgurl, March 04, 2007, 01:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapleleafsgurl

Hi everyone.  I love to smoke lake trout, and have had good success with my Little Chief Smoker.  I am smoking some in my new Bradley for the first time today, and had an idea.

I usually use a fair amount of brown sugar in my brine.  I like my finished product to be fairly dry and sweet tasting.  What would happen if  basted the fish with some maple syrup once it was nearly dry enough inside.

I hope someone has tried this and can give me some advice

Thanks

maple

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum mapleleafsgurl.  I have not done fish yet but a lot of folks on here have.  You may want to try searching this site until someone else responds. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

i dont know anything about fish or brines or basting...

but i got a hold of some pure maple sugar once... dang that stuff was good...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

I have not done it but would expect you to get a thin maple glaze by basting at the end when the trout is done. I dont see where the finish is going to hurt anything. There are others here who are experienced with fish.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

mapleleafsgurl

The maple syrup glaze turned out GREAT.  I wish I knew how to post photos and I'd show everyone!  :)

West Coast Kansan

go to photobucket.com and register.  It is free. Read the screens they have real close for directions to upload phots to thier site.  You can put ALOT there for free. At least alot for the forum purpose.

Once loaded copy the URL from below the picture and then paste it between the brackets that appear when you click the small icon with a photo frame in it.  Located above the laughing smiley on the forum posting screen.

you can then click preview to see how it looks and verify the photo before you click post. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

mapleleafsgurl

Thanks WKC

Let's see if it works.

tsquared

Oh my my, Mapleleafsgurl--those do look good.\!
T2

West Coast Kansan

:P  :P  :P That glaze is delicious looking! Very pretty  ;)

Gizmo

Nice post maple,
Reminds me of opening day of football last year only with Salmon. :-)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

mapleleafsgurl

Thanks guys

You know....something I have noticed about my Bradley...

I used a Lil' Chief for years and years, and always had booger problems.

Smoking fish with the Bradley produces hardly any boogers!!

I LOVE IT!

mapes

Wildcat

Well done!  Makes me hungry. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Good job mapleleafsgurl!!! ;D

LilSmoker

That trout looks lovely mapleleafsgurl  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Kummok

Dang, MLG....that's some GREAT looking trout there! If it tastes half as good as it looks, I think you've discovered smoked Nervana!