whitefish recommendations

Started by whitetailfan, November 25, 2005, 11:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

I have about a half dozen whitefish fillets, skin on in the freezer.
Anyone have a recommendation on how to cook them?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

I guess there aren't any whitefish fans, WTF. We used to catch them out at Lake Wabumun (sp?)when I was a kid but I guess that's over now thanks to the good folks at CN rail.[:(!] I can't give you any advice on how to cook them but I do remember that they had a nice sweet flavour. Let us know how you decide to do them.
T2

mapleleafsgurl

I am not sure about smoking whitefish, but there are a ton of good ways to cook it.  I know it's a little late, but

Wash fillets well and place on tinfoil skin down.  Salt & pepper, onion slices, and whatever veggies you like sprinkled on top cut into small pieces (ie mushrooms, zucchini) dot with butter and seal tightly.  Throw on BBQ on very high heat for about 8 minutes per side

OR

Thaw fillets and wash well then pat dry.  Remove skins and cut into 1" strips. Dip into a beaten egg then dredge in fine breadcrumbs mixed with seasoned salt and pepper.  Deep fry in smoking hot oil until golden.

Hope this helps for next time lol

outlander

we just skin them, dredge in flour/pepper and fry in butter/oil till golden crisp.that or skin side down, hand springle corse salt and brown sugar.layer fish that way in non-reactive container,cover and leave in fridge atlest 12 to 24 hours. pat dry and let air dry till tacky. toss in older smoker and smoke till done. same goes for the smaller lakers.

chris

mapleleafsgurl

Hey Tsquared...yes it is a shame about Wabamun.  I have always wanted to fish there for whites.  I wonder if it will ever happen now :(