First butt...

Started by radamo, September 04, 2011, 07:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radamo

Hi guys,
I am going to try my first pork butt (probably today).  I am planning on doing the first 4 hours in the Bradley with hickory smoke. Then due to unsettled forecast I planned on putting the butt into my regular oven over night at 220.  I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
1.  Do I need to do anything special when transferring to the oven? 
2.  Does it need to be covered in foil or just on a rack?
3.  Is the internal temp I am looking for 190? 
After that point I will FTC until meal time which should be a few hours away.   

Thank you for any and all help!!!
RA

KyNola

Nothing special when transferring to the oven.  I place mine on a rack, no foil in a roasting pan with no liquid in the pan as I am looking for a pronouned bark.. Others wrap the butt in foil when going into the oven.  Still others will place on the rack in a roasting pan with some sort of liquid.  The choice is yours.  190-200 is the IT I generally look for but they will pull easily at 185.  I usually consider it done at 195 and then FTC it for a few hours before pulling the meat. 

radamo

KyNola,
Thank you so much.  You answered all the questions I asked (and some I thought of later..  :-D  )  I do have one more question... Should I put a foil pan underneath my butt in the smoker to collect the juices and drippings?

Again, thanks for the quick and thorough reply.
RA

KyNola

Collecting the drippings is another personal preference.  I don't but many folks do.  Whatever you like best.

squirtthecat

I don't know how much will really 'drip' in the first 4 hours.  You can try it, but I don't think you'll end up with much.

mikecorn.1

Good luck and ditto on squirts comment on drippings.

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

radamo

Thanks all.  What I am going to try is no drip pan in the smoker and then into a foil tray uncovered in the oven.  We will see how this goes this time.  Appreciate the excellent support.
RA

KyNola

Do you have some sort of rack that will lift the butt off the surface of the pan?  If not, wad up some foil and sit the butt on it.  Otherwise the butt is going to be sitting there swimming in liquid pork fat.

Just my suggestion.  It's not mandatory.

squirtthecat

You can flip a Bradley rack over - if it will fit in your roaster pan.   Maybe turn it sideways and it will act as a 'bridge' of sorts.

KyNola

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 04, 2011, 09:29:01 AM
You can flip a Bradley rack over - if it will fit in your roaster pan.   Maybe turn it sideways and it will act as a 'bridge' of sorts.
And there you go!

radamo

Quote from: KyNola on September 04, 2011, 09:25:26 AM
Do you have some sort of rack that will lift the butt off the surface of the pan?  If not, wad up some foil and sit the butt on it.  Otherwise the butt is going to be sitting there swimming in liquid pork fat.

Just my suggestion.  It's not mandatory.

Yup, I have a rack it could sit on once I put into the oven.  Good idea! Looking forward to tomorrow's dinner!!!
RA