Smoke leak near door hinge... Normal?

Started by jgoldwood, September 09, 2011, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgoldwood

Hello.  I fired up the smoker for the first time, and immediately noticed I had some smoke leaking out of the top near the hinge.  Is this normal, or do I have a bad seal?  Thanks

mikecorn.1

I have never has that happen. I would say you have some kind if defect on the magnetic strip. Only smoke coming out of mine is out of the top vent. Others will be by with more info and or to correct me :D :D

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

jgoldwood

Thanks for the quick response.  I feared that was going to be the case.  There are Bradley reps on here quite a bit, right?  I'm sure they'd be able to tell me.

GusRobin

many times the seal gets distorted when it is packaged for a while. Heat it up for a while during seasoning and see if it corrects itself. Usually does. If not,give Bradley a call on Monday and they can help you or replace it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gizmo

I would not worry about that small amount of smoke escaping.  I did notice your top vent is fully closed.  I suspect this may have been for your seasoning.  As and FYI, while smoking food, the vent should be at least 1/2 open for almost all smokes.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

looks like the gasket is deformed, just heat it a bit and gently  pull it  out away from the door, it wont take  much and open your vent

jgoldwood

Thanks for the responses.  Gus, I think you are right ...

I was in the process of seasoning, which is why it was closed except for the little holes.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: jgoldwood on September 09, 2011, 06:38:09 PM
Thanks for the responses.  Gus, I think you are right ...

I was in the process of seasoning, which is why it was closed except for the little holes.
If it's still under warranty, I would go ahead and get it replaced. IMHO

---
- Mike.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

jgoldwood

I was thinking the same thing.  Maybe they can just send me the front door and I can return the defective one?  Seems like it'd be a bit of a pain to send it all back. 

classicrockgriller

I remember seeing this a cple times before and I believe the

seal will work it way back to norm as it warms up.

In the mean time, don't let it spoil your Party.

Fire that darling up and smoke something.

TedEbear

I think that a brand new door seal, combined with a completely closed vent, was the problem.  Correct both of those issues and you should be okay.