Smoked butt without rub?

Started by rhill2, September 19, 2011, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhill2

I have my favorite rub I like to use, but my wife cannot eat the pork with any amount of heat in the rub. :(  Has anyone smoked a butt without rub?  How did it turn out?  Maybe I just need a rub that is super mild with no chili powder and minimal spice, I don't know, I sure hate to ruin a good hunk of pork!

KyNola

Try this one.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub  I know it has chili powder and cayenne in it but it is very mild.  If you are still afraid of it omit the pepper and chili powder.

DTAggie

Jan's is not spicy, especially on butt.  Give it a try.

Habanero Smoker

Another option, if you wife has a favorite rub for pork/pork roast you can use that. Or just use salt, brown sugar and pepper. Once it is pulled you can season the pork individual portions with sauces of the individual's choice.

Here is one that is reported not to be spicy, but depending on your wife's tolerance to spicy foods, you may want to cut back on the black pepper, and leave out the cayenne:
Pork Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hiram

My wife doesn't like spicy or hot either, when I'm smoking for us at home I only use salt, pepper and garlic for rub and to get a good bark I use the slathered mustard technique.

rhill2

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  I myself was thinking along the lines of sugar, salt or maybe garlic salt and then a small bit of black pepper.  I guess I was on track.  If it turns out a little mild for her then I can kick it up a notch on my next one, just have to see what she thinks.  I will be smoking Friday evening into Saturday morning, will let you know how it turns out.  At least she is not a rib fan, so I can use my rub on them, I have them all to myself!  Life is good! :)