Two different meats

Started by Drac, September 14, 2011, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Good day all,

After a hiatus due to 1000F+ temps here in Dallas I'm getting back to the smoker.  Actually I did some a couple times but nothing special.

Now that the temp is breaking this weekend I'm going to fire up the smoker with a Boston butt.  Plan to pack it up in 1lb bags for later consumption as tacos and quesadillas. 

While at the store they had baby backs on sale.  Was able to pick up a slab for $8. 

Was orginally planning to do up a batch of Salt Lick Clone and do up the butt with that. 

Now I'm wondering if one, I can do the ribs and the butt at the same time?  I'm thinking no.

Two any recommondations for doing up the ribs?  I did the Ribs Sticky and it turned out well. 

Thanks,
Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Tenpoint5

Jim I dont see why you couldn't do the ribs on top of the Butt. The temps are going to be the same. The butt is just playing astronaut (taking up space) in there. Go for it.

BTW Put me down for three boxes this year, if I can get them!! Let me know if you need my address again.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Heck ya you can do them together.

I did a brisket and ribs for my birthday earlier this month.

What works for me with a butt is;

Put the butt in the smoker on Fri. night around 7 P and smoke for 3 or 4 hr, dump the water pan refill with hot water and go to bed.

Then in the morning check the temp and and dump and refill the water bowl.

When the butt is around 170 F 180 F ish which will be around noon throw in the ribs and start the smoke, again, and do the ribs like you always do.

When the but hits 190 to 200 do the FTC thing and when the ribs are done the butt should be ready to pull.

I cook the ribs above the butt.

Takes some planing but every thing should be done at the same time, just give yourself plenty of time for the butt to get a head start and plan for the ribs to take 6 hr.

If every thing is done early the FTC works for ribs too.

Have fun.

This is my birthday smoke.  ;D

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24177.0

mikecorn.1

Mike

Drac

Thanks.

I did up a fresh batch of Salt Lick Clone and the rub from http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?449-Competition-Ribs

I'm doing the butt and ribs for future meals so it's not a big deal if they don't finish at the same time.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

OU812

Quote from: Drac on September 14, 2011, 04:58:12 PM
Thanks.

I did up a fresh batch of Salt Lick Clone and the rub from http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?449-Competition-Ribs

I'm doing the butt and ribs for future meals so it's not a big deal if they don't finish at the same time.

Jim

Well then I take every thing back.

Just funning with ya.  ;D  ;D

ghost9mm

Hey Drac...good luck on your smoke, really glad to hear them darn temps are finally gonna break.. I have a whole lot of family in Texas and they are begging for winter time right now with a lot of rain...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill