BBQ Sauce

Started by msiler, May 05, 2004, 12:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

Chez how about a category for Sauces???? I think it would be an appropriate addition.

I made some sauce a while back but now cannot seem to find the recipe in any of my books or on the internet.

All i remember is it is a tomato (possibly ketchup) based sauce
and contained apple juice(cider was an option) as the main liquid and brown sugar and of course the normal spices.

I believe it may have been part of a rib recipe....

Does anyone out there have such a recipe???

Thanks for any help

When in doubt smoke it.

ruffinit

hello msiler.i found this one in smoke & spice cookbook.recipe is called,apple city apple sauce.if you have book you can see if its what your looking for,if you don't i will post recipe for ya if you want to check it out.not too good at typing ,but will peck it out for ya [:D][;)].

mike

msiler

nope I have that book and that is not the sauce in question. But the apple city ribs are great... if you haven't made them yet,try them for sure.

I think I must have stumbled on it online and and tossed the printout. It is a fairly sweet sauce unfortunatly I made a small batch 1st decided it was good and made up a gallon and now that's nearly gone and can't find the recipe again..... And 3 more people want my recipe (so now it's really drivin' me nut's)

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

Martin,

A valid suggestion & I will keep it in mind as I try to figure out the best way to keep the board organized. My biggest problem at the time is threads seem to intertwine into several "subjects" but still remain "on-topic".

Now I'll do my part to throw a slant to this that is my enigma: I'm a dry-rub guy. To me, sauce as the general public understands it, is only covering up bad Q. Not that someone who knows what they're doing can't serve a sauce that compliments the meat, but places like Applebee's or Fridays rely on the sauce to flavor their pressure cooked crap and have convinced the GP that it is "real".

OK, rant over. I do appreciate your guy's comments & suggestions. Without them I'm just driving in the dark with a zippo for a headlight. After all, it's your forum, I'm just doing my part to help keep it fun for everyone.

Kirk[:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

I know what you mean... the recipes get kinda intermingled with recipe discusion... even a generic head for "Recipes" would be great. we could continue the way we ramble now and just add the recipes to an additional thread....

As far as sauces go I also usually don't use them on fresh Q' but it helps with reheating or sandwiches. or basicly any time most people would use ketchup....yech... or of course the best (IMHO) use for leftover Q stuffed baked potatoes.

When in doubt smoke it.

Oldman

Well bubble gum!

I believe I suggested an open food board quite sometime back. I don't know about this Snitz posting program but the one we use only takes up about 1-2KB in storage for each new board.

One item I would like to point out that happened in a big way on another site was the moderators became so topic intense that they were either moving or in some cases deleting postings that did not fall into a category.  The end result was a major lost of membership.

Without a doubt a thread is a living item. As such it is subjected to varying off topic at times.  This is a natural event.  From what I've seen here Chez is doing a good job of moderating this community. I also see the reason for adding new boards. This makes it easier to go back and grap some information that was read ealier.

Dumping everything that does not fit in a given category into an Off Topic or New Topic board causes this loss of convenience. However these types of boards have their place. A good example is the topic concerning the Pet Gallery. It certainly does not have anything to do with food, but it serves this community well as it brings members together in other common areas. Look at the growing new friendship between Fuzzybear and myself. Without the Off Topic board here our common love of animals would not have been brought out to light.

What I like about this place is the quality of members who post here.  No noise, just good ole folks having some fun. As I told DoW-Prez this place is a nice change from some of the gaming communities I have been involved with. As such the off topic drift during some of the postings here, I believe is not that big a deal.

Anywho~~~~whatever the set-up is here--that is ok with me [:D]
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

msiler

I hope that I was not mis-understood I have no complaints about the board at all. Just something I thought could be of even greater utility to us all if it is possible. This has already become my favorite board... all great people and I can't recall ever reading a single comment toward any other members.. That is something that i can't say about Most/all of the other boards I have belonged to over the years.

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />I know what you mean... the recipes get kinda intermingled with recipe discusion... even a generic head for "Recipes" would be great. we could continue the way we ramble now and just add the recipes to an additional thread....

I hope that I was not mis-understood I have no complaints about the board at all.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think that what's Grakka was thinking when he set the Recipes Category and sub-divided it into Meat, Fish and Vegetables, Cheese & Nuts since one could reason most sauces would not be interchangeable between those sub-categories. The biggest problem is "technique" can be so closely related to "recipe". A good thread can include information on both subjects.

To try & split the thread into a purer topic form results in the loss of the quality of the original thread as a whole. To double-post the entire thread in both topics is a waste of space & members' time.

Not mis-understood at all, Martin. There is a big difference between suggestions & complaints. Suggestions are always welcome because they come from a member who participates & enjoys the board, and is suggesting an idea that he believes to be good for the ENTIRE community. Complainers are usually only considered about themselves. Suggest on![8D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DOW-Oldman</i>
<br />One item I would like to point out that happened in a big way on another site was the moderators became so topic intense that they were either moving or in some cases deleting postings that did not fall into a category. The end result was a major lost of membership.

What I like about this place is the quality of members who post here. No noise, just good ole folks having some fun. As I told DoW-Prez this place is a nice change from some of the gaming communities I have been involved with.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Wow![:0] Sorry guys, I don't have the time or inclination to keep it THAT organized. Heck, the only posts/threads I've deleted are from cigarette-boy & a couple of unintentional double posts.

Olds, I so agree with you & Martin on the atmosphere here & I appreciate that all the members so far have played by gentlmanly rules. It's all good discussion, PG-13, no flames.[:)]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Quote: <b>PG-13, no flames</b>

NO FLAMES??? Well in that case I will take my oak fired BBQ back to the gaming community! *Oldman packs up his grill and goes home* [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Yes, NO FLAMES![:D] Technically, the Bradley creates none, thus its' superiority.

And I know you knew what I meant.[;)][:D][8D]