citric acid powder vs encapsulated citric acid

Started by aknapp, September 09, 2011, 01:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknapp

Here's a question for all you sausage guru's out there.  can I use regular powdered citric acid in place of encapsulated citric in sausage recipes?

Sailor

Quote from: aknapp on September 09, 2011, 01:28:00 PM
Here's a question for all you sausage guru's out there.  can I use regular powdered citric acid in place of encapsulated citric in sausage recipes?
Well now....that is a very good question.  I am not a guru by any means and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to provide the answer.

It is my understanding that by using the encapsulated citric acid, one is controlling the release of the citric acid.  It is my understanding that if you just mix in powdered citric acid in the mix and mix it all in it will start to act on the meat and could make your batch dry and crumbly.  By using the encapsulated CA you are releasing the CA when the melting temp of the CA is reached in the smoker and that will prevent premature mixing of the CA with the meat and prevent a dry and crumbly sausage.

I have been told that if you are doing a grind with the sausage mix NOT to add the ECA when grinding as it will break the encapsulation.  One should add the ECA after grinding.  I think that if one is using a power mixer that the ECA should not be used until after the mixing and to hand mix it in just before stuffing.

But then again I could be all confused and doing it wrong  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Regular powdered CA will start to work right away and will make the meat turn white and mushy. Thus the ECA. The coating around the ECA will melt at 132* and start to work. Mix the ECA in by hand, never grind it.

lumpy

aknapp

Thanks guys,  I do remember reading something about this before, but with my pea brain somthings rattle around and are lost for vast periods of time.