Talk about Gravy

Started by Sailor, September 16, 2011, 10:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

My Mom made the best hamburger and sausage gravy.  I will never be able to duplicate it as she made it with so much love.  She never measured anything as she did thing just by look and feel.

This is the process for either hamburger or sausage homemade gravy.  Very easy to make.

Fry up either hamburger or sausage.  I use a tube of Jimmy Dean Hot for my sausage gravy.  You can use as much or as little as you want depending on how many mouths you are feeding.  I find that one tube of sausage can feed 4 to 8 depending on how thick you make the gravy.

After the meat is fried up add a little flour and stir in.  Keep adding small amounts of flower until you have the grease soaked up.  Continue to heat until the flour is turn a light shade of brown.  Add milk and stir to thicken.  This is a feel thing and their is no correct amount.  Just remember that you can always add more milk but you can't take it out.

When the mixture is getting thick I stir in water to thin out.  You can add more water to make it thinner.  If you get too much water in....not to worry as just continue to heat and stir and the water will evaporate out and the gravy will thicken.

The way I like to test my gravy is to take a wooden spoon and scoop up some and kinda pour it back and watch how it pours.  When it is thick enough for my liking she is ready to serve.

No matter how many times I make it, it just never seems to be as good as Mom's.  My kids make the gravy and they always tell me that theirs never tastes as good as mine.  Go figure  :o

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

Good ole Milk Gravy!

Let's Eat!

Sailor

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 16, 2011, 10:49:33 AM
Good ole Milk Gravy!

Let's Eat!
You got that right.  Sometimes the simplest things are the best things in life.  ;D 

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmmmm GRAVY!!!!!!!!

Thats the same way I do it.

You should have seen the look on my wifes face the first time she saw me make it, she couldnt belive I didnt drain off the grease or remove the sausage from the pan.

Watch and learn I said,,,,,,,I still tell her that all the time,,,,,,along with,,,,,,hold my beer.  ;D

Sailor

LOL....I forgot to add that.....hold my beer.   ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Sailor on September 16, 2011, 12:47:29 PM
LOL....I forgot to add that.....hold my beer.   ;D

And Stir constantly.

Keymaster

Thanks for posting that recipe Sailor , you are awesome!!!!

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the recipe. Simple
Yet
Delicious 

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike