Ran Out of Gas Roasted Chicken

Started by SnellySmokesEm, October 24, 2011, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 25, 2011, 12:42:18 PM
Quote from: muebe on October 24, 2011, 07:30:08 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on October 24, 2011, 02:35:57 PM
looks good, good recovery (I was always running out of propane with my gasser so I bought a NG version. When I bought my SRG to replace it I had it modified for NG)

Yes...I love my natural gas big easy ;) No propane tanks to run out for me....and Gus now too.
Where did you get the conversion to NG for the SRG. If ya don't mind me asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike (muebe) drilled out the orifice for me, then added a NG BBQ hose kit
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

zueth

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on October 24, 2011, 12:00:07 PM
Thawed out a yard bird this weekend with the intention of some Brined Beer Up The Butt Chicken in the SRG.  I even bought a wonderful Gas gauge for the SRG.  I started out with a Brine:
Water
Chicken Broth
Salt
Sugar
Peppercorns
Thyme
Rosemary

After a 24 hour bath I dried the chicken out and dusted with garlic, lemon pepper, salt pepper and lysanders mesquite rub.  I opened up a bud light drank about 3/4 of it  and the replaced 1/4 of it with apple juice then gently places up the birds back side.  I stuffed the neck cavity with red and pablano pepper to force the steam into the meat. Off to the SRG (which according to my wonderful new gas gauge was "low" not "needs refill" and 10 mins later.....  "Fires Out"  So I ran into the kitchen and turned the oven onto 350 and transferred the 90 degree yardbird to the oven.  Disaster averted?  Hopefully.  What came out of the 350 degree oven 45 minutes later was truly wonderful.  The most moist, succulent, flavorful yard bird this guy has ever roasted.  I will be the first to tell you when I screwed something up. (like friday when I made SRG Chicken wings that I have made hundreds of time that were about 15 minutes overcooked and I had to throw them out)  This is only the second time I have brined and I will brine poultry from here on out.  My friend said it was probably the best chicken he has ever had.  Man I cant wait to get home and make chicken salad out of the breast meat!  Lesson learned?  Dont trust stupid gas gauge and when I refill the propane take the other tank that has been sitting empty in the garage and refill it too! Now for the pics....

Would mine sharing how much was used of each ingredients in your brine.

SnellySmokesEm

Dont mind at all....

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 gallon heavily iced water
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

zueth

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on October 27, 2011, 09:23:55 AM
Dont mind at all....

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 gallon heavily iced water