Hey Sonny - I killed it - sad update

Started by deb415611, September 16, 2011, 03:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

36yrs into rehydrating

lots of bubble action,  no growth yet.  Fed one of these this morning, left one for now.

Even though they haven't started rising they smell and look healthy, my guess is that they will be fully activated by tomorrow

classicrockgriller

Fantastic Deb.

This one i did just the other day took a long time.

I guess there may be a shelf life to this dehydrated

starter.

Tenpoint5

Reminds me I have to feed mine tonight if I wants to make some bread tomorrow. Good Luck with your Deb!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tiny Tim

Quote from: deb415611 on September 16, 2011, 03:39:44 AM
36yrs into rehydrating

No wonder I didn't want to get outta bed today...went from age 41 to 77 over night. ;) ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: deb415611 on September 16, 2011, 03:39:44 AM
36yrs into rehydrating

lots of bubble action,  no growth yet.  Fed one of these this morning, left one for now.

Even though they haven't started rising they smell and look healthy, my guess is that they will be fully activated by tomorrow

(CRG is pacing the floor waiting for the next new Star to be born.)

deb415611

Sonny - I'm so sorry, it's dead......   when i fed the other night I split in two and this is what one looks like today.  I didn't feed this one yesterday.  The other one doesn't have the mold but smells funky.   The mold is hair like, it's pretty long in some spots and the white under the hair looks firm.

I have never seen a starter do this

I'm sorry, I let you down  :-[

Smokin Soon

I really doubt that is any fault of yours, Deb. My guess it was something picked up in Texas due to extreme heat and humidity. That is exactly what happens in the tropical climates of South East Asia. My overseas friends learned to eliminate that with a tbs of pinapple juice.

deb415611

Peter Reinhart's latest books use pineapple juice in starting a starter from scratch. 

After I dumped the entire bag of starter into the container and added water I wished I had held 1/2 back just in case

classicrockgriller

Not to worry.

Deb, Like I stated I had a hard time re-hydrating it this time

and the starter I kept is not very active.

So do we quit? Heck No! Will de-hydrate a new batch and

send it as quick as it is done.

deb415611

no we won't quit --- smokin soon is quick, he's got some in the mail already

I will do better this time :-\

classicrockgriller

Gary has become a Big Time "Keeper of the Bread".

Glad he fixed you up.

Thanks Smokin' Soon.

Sailor

I don't think Barbasol and a razor is goin ta fix that starter  ;D Deb I know you were so looking forward to get the bread going and I hate it that you had some bad luck.  Now I am starting to worry that the starter that I froze may not come to life.  Been in the freezer for a few months.  Guess I should take a pack out and see if I can bring it back to life.

I hope your next starter works for you.  It is the best bread around.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Smokin Soon

I think it has to do with picking the exact time after a feeding to dehydrate it. I have dehydrated 2 big batches. The first one tookoff in 12 hours, I fed it and baked the next day. Second batch took 3 days to kick, fed and baked on day 4. That's a big difference. The one I sent out to Deb today was the last of the first batch, which should get busy pretty quick.