Excel briskets from Wallmart

Started by jimmyb, September 27, 2011, 01:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I had purchase an Excel ungraded brisket from Wal-Mart a few years back and never do it again. Excel is the name of the beef company that packaged the meat. It was all fat (I'm not talking about marbling), and tough. It was USDA inspected as required by law, but not graded. Grading of beef is optional, and it was most definitely select.

In my area Sam's rarely will have brisket and when they do it is only flats. The meat cutters behind the counter state there is not enough demand. But when they do get briskets in it is either choice or certified Angus.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

The Briskets I have been getting is IBP and not Excel.

jimmyb

Thank you Habs! That's what I'm talking about. Tried it and it was not a good brisket at all. Never saw any grading on it which is why I asked the question. I think you confirmed this for me. Never buy my brisket at Walmart.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jimmyb on September 28, 2011, 06:20:32 PM
Thank you Habs! That's what I'm talking about. Tried it and it was not a good brisket at all. Never saw any grading on it which is why I asked the question. I think you confirmed this for me. Never buy my brisket at Walmart.

Yeah! The brisket was pretty bad, but many have posted they've got some good briskets from Wal-Mart. Just make sure if they have them that they are graded as "Choice". If you don't see a grade, it's a crap shoot, and likely it is select.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

I must be one of the lucky ones.  The local Sam's Club always has a cooler full of packer briskets.  They typically are black angus and choice grade.  They will also have a lesser quality packer brisket too.

jimmyb

My Sams Club does not even have briskets. I was disappointed in that. My local Walmart does have them though as stated in this thread. 

Caneyscud

At Sams, ring the bell and ask the meat man - they often have them in the cooler, but not in the displays. 

I guess I differ on the grading.  Having grown up with ungraded ranch grown beef, and starting my bbq journey on that same beef, I can't say it makes much of a difference.  Once you do the low n slow mojo, hopefully much of the collagen has been melted and the toughness gone.  I've cooked a number of ungraded clods also and not have had trouble with toughness.  Now, I can't take a select or ungraded brisked off at an IT of 180 - I usually get it up to 195 or 200.  I also would not go into a contest with a select or ungraded.  I think they are downgraded as well as some of the primes and kobes.  I believer the primes and kobes are too rich for many judges and the selects and ungraded they recognize because of fat distribution.  I prefer CAB in competitions - with choices second. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTJ

I have heard and not entirely sure itis true, that the meat cutters at Sam's do the cutting for the Walmart stores.  This obviously does not apply if it is cryovaced though.

Daryl