Dual probe or single probe auber PID

Started by Kitchen Commander, September 27, 2011, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitchen Commander

Just got my Bradley original yesterday and seasoned it last night.  I also picked up the Maverick ET-732 wireless thermometer.  I'm planning on adding the PID some time in the not to distant future.

I noticed on the Auber web site, they have 2 controllers for the Bradley.  One with a single probe for monitoring/controlling temperature of the smoke compartment only and another with dual probes for monitoring/controlling smoker temperature and temperature of meat.

Since I've already got a device for monitoring the meat temperature, is it overkill to get the dual probe PID, or is the extra control worth the extra $43.50 for the dual probe?  I don't mind spending the extra if a lot of folks think it's worth it.  I'm a gadget nut anyhow.  Friends are a little surprized that I use an infared thermometer when I grill to make sure my grates are the right temp for searing and grilling.

Thanks all  ;)
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

squirtthecat

What the dual probe Auber gives you is the ability to program the heating temperature/times based on temperatures measured by the 2nd probe.

As in,  "heat at 225° until the meat probe registers 195°, then reduce smoker temperature to 180°".

It can get a lot more complex than that as well, for ramping temperatures for sausage, etc.

(I just have the single probe Auber)

Kitchen Commander

Now that sounds like some awesome control!  That's got me leaning towards the dual probe so far.

squirtthecat

I think it can even control the smoke generator...     Others will have to chime in on that.

It's definitely a powerful little gizmo.

TestRocket

What squirt said! You won't regret it!  ;D

Kitchen Commander

devo

Dual probe all the way. And Auber stands behind their product also.

muebe

I have the dual-probe and as squirt said it does control the Bradley in each step(there are 6) by IT temp or time. It can also shut the unit down or go into a warming temp when your meat reaches the temp.

For example you can program it to run at 225F until the IT of the butt is 195F. Then when the butt is at a IT of 195F it can shut down or drop the cabinet temp down to say 150F to keep it warm in case you cannot pull it out right away.

It can also control the smoke generator. You can set two steps that activate the smoke generator by time or IT of meat.

For example you can set step one to pre-heat the cabinet temp to 225F. Then once that is reached you can have step two as your smoke program. Then after step two is over by temp or time it will shut off the generator. You can even have it come back on later in the smoke. There is a lot of control and IMHO worth the extra money ;D

Just remember to get the hanging temp probe and not the wall mounted one ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

RFT

DuAl probe.
I got the wall mount probe.   
What would be the pro's and cons between the 2?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.499423,-120.297427
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

mikecorn.1

I got the dual probe free hanging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

Quote from: RFT on September 27, 2011, 09:17:56 AM
DuAl probe.
I got the wall mount probe.   
What would be the pro's and cons between the 2?
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.499423,-120.297427
With the hanging probe you can put the probe at the lowest rack with meat. The probe doesn't get in the way as the wall mount does. I ended up removing the wall probe, closing up of the hole and using it as a hanging probe. I then ended up buying a new hanging probe.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Karaokegod01

Anyone have a link or something where I can purchase a pid and general prices

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Karaokegod01 on October 03, 2011, 02:03:21 PM
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=7c9be2360f0750dadaac53751a407ce8

This is for the dual PID. You can also see the others they offer by navigating in the link.

Mike

TedEbear

Here's a link to the Auber 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SSR control output) for $45.50. I have one installed in my SG box in the pic below.

Kitchen Commander

Quote from: TedEbear on October 04, 2011, 09:01:39 PM

Here's a link to the Auber 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SSR control output) for $45.50. I have one installed in my SG box in the pic below.

That looks great! My compliments. How does it wire in?