• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Killer reciepe

Started by dick621, December 09, 2005, 06:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick621

OK, My BS is on the way, schedualed for delivery next tuesday. Now I need a killer reciepe for a chicken , with step by step instructions to really impress the wife with my culinary skills. Please give me your recommendations. I want to get all the ingrediants on hand ahead of time so I will be GOOD TO GO as soon as it gets here and I have seasoned it.    

Dick in Emmett, Idaho
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

iceman

Hi Dick. I'm glad to hear you're getting a Bradley soon. I just did a bunch of chickens for a big feed two weeks ago. I brined them then smoke cooked them and they turned out great. I used a basic poultry brine as follows. 4 gallons water-3 cups salt-2 cups sugar-4 tablespoons black pepper corns-2 tablespoons granulated garlic-1 tablespoon thyme-1 tablespoon lemon zest.
Mix everything together in a plastic 5 gallon bucket until the salt is dissolved. Don't use iodized salt! Divide the brine into two buckets. Toss in two cleaned whole chickens in each bucket and refrigerate up to 12 hrs. or just overnight. Make sure the brine is 40 degrees before you put the chickens in. If you don't have room in the fridge fill some trash bags with ice and put in the brine on top of the chickens. Make sure the brine never gets above 40. Remove the chickens from the brine and rinse well then dry with paper towels inside and out. Spinkle inside and out with you favorite poultry seasoning and place them into your preheated smoker. The smoker should be around 215 / 225 no higher. Let the smoker dry the skin out for about 1/2 hour then put the smoke to it. It will take 4 to 6 hours to get the internal temp up to 165 for safe eating. I pull mine out at 160 and cover loose with foil because they will keep cooking for awhile after you pull them out. Make sure the juices around the thigh run clear when you cut the joint. You can always finish the pieces off in a 325 oven for 30 minutes if the are a little pink. You can stop the smoke when you get the color you want about 3/4 of the way through cooking. It's not nessasary to have the smoke going the entire time. Another way to do them is when you go to put them in the smoker put them on a beer butt rack with a half filled beer in it and you have the best of everything. Beer butt / smoked chicken that is sooooo juicy you can't stand it. Don't forget that to empty the beer 1/2 way you get to drink it!!![^]

Gordon

I think people are trying to figure out what a killer recipe for chicken really is.  

If you brine your chicken, that is soak it in a solution of 1 to 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt per gallon for 24 hours, it increases the overall juicey-ness of the chicken.  And that added to whatever rub you use on the outside can make for a chicken like no other.

The salt draws the water into the chicken, so if flavor the water with spices, they will get drawn in as well.  It depends on the flavor you are looking for - as to what spices you choose.  A lot of people use sugar - I have, and some people use spices that tend to overpower the smoke.  It also depends on the type of wood you are going to use.  If you want to have a sweeter flavor, include a bout a cup of "Sugar in the Raw," which is turbinado sugar, per gallon of brine, and use a lighter, sweeter wood.  Examples are apple (my favorite for sweetness), maple, etc.

If you want to go for the hearty hickory smokehouse type chicken.  Brine with salt, let the bird come close to room temp while letting the BS come to 190-210.  While the bird is sitting, add your favorite rub.  I use McComicks  Chicken and Rib Rub. Use about 6 to 8 hickory pucks (if you include bubba pucks - if not add a couple more, but kiss them goodbye first), when internal temp reaches 170 ish, wrap in foil, wrap it in a towel, then put it in a coleman, or other type cooler for atleast 2 hours, then serve with sourcream whipped potatoes, and gravey.  Good thick pieces of Texas Toast with butter and garlic work well too.

I think that covers it.  Everyone I give one of those hickory chickens to tells me I should sell them.

Hope it works out.

Gordo

Gordon

Doh!  I was so close to beating you to the punch!  Curses! Foiled again!

Gordo

JJC

You guys are making me real hungry [:p]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

D621,

If you want something "Killer", especially if it your first smoke, may I suggest this.

First, lets keep it simple.

Get your favorite chicken pieces (I love thighs) and choose a simple injection from the store(or simple things like lime juice and butter) and inject them the night before. Remember keep it simple.

The day of the smoke, preheat to 225 or so, then load with your favorite wood (hickory) 2hrs worth and water.

After that put your chicken in at 225 or so for three hours.

Pull the chicken and finish on the grill.

I have been doing this similar tactic with various alterations and by far this the best way to do chicken with the BS.

It will be extremely juiceeee and a just the right amount of smoke flavor.

Keep us informed and WELCOME!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

do a search for chicken breast wrapped with bacon and then stuffed with chease.

JJC

Hey Duck-man,

Great to see you back on the Forum!  Hope the hunting has been good this season [;)]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />I love thighs<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Could not agree more...now what was that about chicken?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(I love thighs) <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm easy, take as it comes....

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...