Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

jowls are curing in the fridge it is day 2 i used Alton browns recipe
1 cup salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 ounces molasses
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
1 pound pork belly
In a small bowl, combine salt and sugar. Spread molasses evenly over pork belly, then coat with the pepper. Spread the salt and sugar mixture generously over the entire slab. Place into a re-sealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 days.
i double and halfed the recipe for the cheeks weight in at 2.5 pounds
these cheeks were frozen the same day it was shot then defrosted 2 days i had to do it this way cound not find a cure . whats the deal with people afraid to not dry cure this way adding nitrates and such ? its kinda scaring me. anyone dry cure as this is the first for me this way,, ive wet brined jerky many times with just salt suger and other spices

3rensho

I dry cure cheeks when I make guanciale.  I dry cure other cuts all the time and never had a problem.  Only reason that I haven't done any in the last couple of months is that the freezer is full.  ;D ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

CLAREGO

Thanks for the comment and yes that is another way of doing it. considering your a long swim from pa and probelbly been doing it for ever  :D

3rensho

It is a long swim indeed.  Did live in PA for a couple of years in the late 80's, south east corner in Landenberg.  Beautiful country.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

CLAREGO

so the freeezer is full   :o not enough eating lol 

CLAREGO

turn out great next time ill add cure just for looks  ;D