Looking for suggestions for tailgating

Started by Kitchen Commander, October 03, 2011, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitchen Commander

Our tailgating season is upon us and we'll be tailgating this year with our new to us motorhome.

I want to turn on my friends to some of the good smoked food we've been enjoying with our OBS, but I don't want to pack up the smoker into the motor home.

What might some of you suggest for food items I could smoke, say on Thursday or Friday night, then refridgerate and finish off on the grill while we're tailgating on saturday????

I was thinking Brats, but I'm not sure because they're uncooked and will go from 80-90 degree cold smoke to refridgerator, then to grill a day or 2 later.

Thanks in advance.  I'm sure I'll get some great ideas from the great folks here on the forum.
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

GusRobin

you could make a pork butt, pull it,and refrigerate it. Reheat it for the tailgate in your motorhome oven or a crock pot. Can do the same with a brisket.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Fully cooked spareribs reheat great on a grill over high direct heat. Also you can add your sauce at this time, if you sauce your ribs.

Brisket reheated in an Onion Sauce or a sauce that you like works well. It also makes good sandwiches on a kaiser or sub roll.

If the Brats are not cured or already fully cooked, I would not take any chances with cold smoking them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I'll start a butt or brisket early afternoon the day before, it usually reaches the desired IT around 8-9 in the morning.

I put it in FTC and head down to the stadium.

Get the tailgate set up, break out the butt or brisket.

I don't use a generator at the stadium (not allowed) so the crock pot is not an option.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

thirtydaZe

these are all some nice ideas, but please, don't forget the beer.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

OU812

Chicken parts,,,,,,,,,,lots of chicken parts.

Fully cook in the Bradley, chill then finish on the grill,,,,,,,,,,,,gooood stuff.

And what thirtydaze said.  ;D

Kitchen Commander

Quote from: thirtydaZe on October 04, 2011, 10:34:09 AM
these are all some nice ideas, but please, don't forget the beer.

Oh heck yeah! The Jack & Coke, vodka & bloody Mary, Nicarauguan cigars, micro brew beers too.

Kitchen Commander

I'm liking the idea of chicken.  I've only done skinless boneless breasts so far, which were eaten same night they came off smoker.  I've heard skinned chicken doesn't come out as good. Leathery skin. Smoking tomorrow night then refrigerating till sat for the game.

Suggestions to keep chicken from drying out?

StickyDan

I'd go down to Costco and pick up 2 or 3 or even 4 packs of  fresh chicken wings.  Season with your favourite rub and hot smoke for a couple hours.  Vac pac em and freeze if you'd like.  Once at the party, toss em on the grill to reheat and crisp up the skin.  Best damn wings you'll ever have.  You'll be amazed at how fast they go. 

OU812

Quote from: StickyDan on October 04, 2011, 06:18:00 PM
I'd go down to Costco and pick up 2 or 3 or even 4 packs of  fresh chicken wings.  Season with your favourite rub and hot smoke for a couple hours.  Vac pac em and freeze if you'd like.  Once at the party, toss em on the grill to reheat and crisp up the skin.  Best damn wings you'll ever have.  You'll be amazed at how fast they go.

Ditto

GBIceman

Wrap in bacon, possibly split breast and stuff with cheese. Tasty
Ice fishing rocks

If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough.

OU812

Quote from: GBIceman on October 04, 2011, 07:20:08 PM
Wrap in bacon, possibly split breast and stuff with cheese. Tasty

And sausage with that cheese.  ;)

Kitchen Commander

Great ideas. Thanks so much all of you.  I'm building a cook book! Keep em coming! I :D