replacing reflector

Started by DocZ, February 09, 2012, 10:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocZ

So I'm getting further along into Hab's dual element heater mod, and I discover that my reflector is badly rusted! (...thought it was just very dirty). The good news, and the reason I'm posting here is that I saved almost 50% on the cost by going directly to Bradley. I needed some good news.

Habanero Smoker

I can't take credit for the dual element modification. That was inspired by Mike (Mr. Walleye). Hold on to that rusty one. Drilling the holes in the reflector can be tricky. I destroyed one reflector while drilling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I drilled them with a step bit that did a really good job on drilling it without tearing the thin stainless.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TedEbear

I drilled mine out to about 3/8" and then used a cone shaped grinding bit to enlarge the holes to about 9/16".  The larger you try to drill into that thin metal the more it wants to tear instead of cut.

Habanero Smoker

The way TedBear drill his, is similar to how I drilled the second time, using a Dremel to enlarge, but a rat tail file will also work. But I didn't start with a 3/8-inch bit. I started with a 1/16-inch and gradually increase the bit size to 3/8-inch, then using the grinding attachment to enlarge. You will find those instructions on the modification for the Digital:

Additional Heating Element

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)