OBS Chimney conversion?

Started by Charcutier, October 04, 2011, 12:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charcutier

Hello, all -

I'm thinking about converting a small shed to a housing unit for my Bradley Smoker.  Currently it sits on a table on my back porch and I have to drag the whole assembly out from under the porch to avoid discoloring the ceiling.  I live in the Pacific Northwest, which means I also have to wait for a day with no rain - what a pain.

So, I've picked my shed and plan to install a vent through the roof with a small chimney cap.  I'd also like to have a damper, of course.

For those who have done conversions, what would you recommend for equipment?  I'm thinking a 5" start collar/damper screwed into the top of the OBS, with a 5-4" reducer and 4" ducting through a hole in the roof, straight up (flashed, of course).  I was also thinking to run a longer duct from the cold smoking attachment outside of the shed and back in at the proper height to attach, so that the smoke gets truly cooled down - but I worry that too long a run will mean it won't draw properly.  Same with the roof vent, actually - I wonder if it will draw properly with a rain cap up there.

Anyway, any help or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Carolyn the (amateur) Charcutier

KyNola

Hi Carolyn and welcome to the forum.  While I can't help you with the proper equipment for a chimney conversion, I can tell you that my BDS has been sitting on a screened in porch for around 4 years.  The ceiling is a cream color and it is not discolored at all. If potential discoloration of your porch ceiling is the only reason you're going through this exercise, you can save your money.

beefmann

here is what i did,,, also added a fan below the t on the inside of the  shed to remove excess heat and smoke,,,,  works great

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17581

classicrockgriller

Carolyn, Welcome to the Forum.

Agree with KyNola.

The smoke will spread out before discoloring the ceiling.

Charcutier

Thanks for the great info, y'all!

The ceiling was my main concern - which you have allayed.  But I'd also like to clear that space on my small back porch.  It's just really crowded back there.

beefmann, is that a 2x2 rubbermaid shed?  And what's the thing on top - looks like a 6" T junction with drain covers, am I right?

Kitchen Commander

Quote from: beefmann on October 04, 2011, 02:37:42 PM
here is what i did,,, also added a fan below the t on the inside of the  shed to remove excess heat and smoke,,,,  works great

Holy Freakin Cow!!! That's awesome!!!  Nice Job!!!  I think I might do something along the same line eventually.  Right now my OBS is bone stock.  The first thing I want to do is add the 900 watt element, the PID and maybe a fan.  Jury's still out on the fan, but I suppose it would help.  I use a battery operated one in our motorhome fridge and it keeps the temps pretty even all over.  I really need the extra heat here in Reno Nevada.  I did 3 racks of ribs last weekend and it never got over 200 inside because it was so chilly and windy outside.

What an incredible find, finding this forum after I got my OBS. 
Proud to have served & retired, 20 years United States Army Airborne.

OU812

Quote from: Kitchen Commander on October 06, 2011, 08:01:42 PM
Quote from: beefmann on October 04, 2011, 02:37:42 PM

Holy Freakin Cow!!! That's awesome!!!  Nice Job!!!  I think I might do something along the same line eventually.  Right now my OBS is bone stock.  The first thing I want to do is add the 900 watt element, the PID and maybe a fan.  Jury's still out on the fan, but I suppose it would help.  I use a battery operated one in our motorhome fridge and it keeps the temps pretty even all over.  I really need the extra heat here in Reno Nevada.  I did 3 racks of ribs last weekend and it never got over 200 inside because it was so chilly and windy outside.

What an incredible find, finding this forum after I got my OBS.

If'n you can get your smoker outta the wind it will make ahellofa difference with the getting cabnet temp.