• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Ribs - General Advice

Started by Muskeg, October 12, 2011, 08:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskeg

I haven't done ribs in the smoker before.  Could anyone provide some general advice on completing such a project or provide a link showing this info.  Mainly, I'm looking for smoke time and time in the smoker.  I'm assuming this would depend on total weight of the ribs?  Do most finish on the bbq or is the total time in the smoker?  My assumption is that it would be difficult to get an accurate IT on ribs, so is there a standard "doneness" test?  Thanks for your help.

hal4uk

Hi Muskeg...

Ribs (IMHO) are the most difficult to master.  You will get a LOT of differing opinions on time/temp/rubs/foil/not foil/etc...
I'm just going to say this... learn to pick em up with tongs -- grab em about 1/2 way up the rack.  When they bend to almost breaking...
They're about done.

Others will have LOTS more advice.
(and better advice than mine.  Heck, I wear funny shoes sometimes).
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DTAggie

mikecorn.1

Mike

Caneyscud

The meat should also be pulling down from the tips usually - but is not a very good indicator.  Fork test is not bad either.  Stick in the meat between the bones.  If it goes in easy and twists easy - tendernss.  Before I lost it, I used an ice pick.  Lacking that - H E double hockey sticks, just pull one off to try.  That's a good and tasty way to test! - my favorite!  However, the bend test does the job very well.  Some like to see a little cracking in the bend, but to me that is overcooking.  You want a good bend without breaking.  The only problem I've come across with the bend test is as what happened last year.  I bought a lot of baby backs last year for cooks I did for groups.  Got them from Sams - and many of those racks were some of the meatiest ribs I had ever cooked.  Because of the extra meat the bend test wasn't as accurate as the fork test. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Ice pick...   Great idea!

I do the bend thing as well.    A tooth pick works in a pinch.     You just don't want it to fall to pieces, unless that is what you are aiming for.

Muskeg

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 13, 2011, 06:13:27 AM
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182

Click on the link above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike,
This is exactly what I was looking for.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Muskeg on October 13, 2011, 06:44:44 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on October 13, 2011, 06:13:27 AM
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182

Click on the link above