Important - feedback please

Started by whitetailfan, December 16, 2005, 05:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

My Dad and brother just made up 2 batches of sausage.  The seasoning and cure comes made for 100lbs and therefore needed to be cut in half for total, but then cut again...half of the half for each batch.
For whatever reason, they forgot to cut the 50lb amount again, and used it on a 30lb batch.  Just shy of double the cure.

They asked me what I thought, and I said that I measure cure out very carefully, and that they should ask the meat shop for their input.

2 local butchers both said it would be OK, just very salty, and that it was not enough to hurt anyone.

I have a much broader base here to pull opinion from.  What do you all think about the almost double cure?  Safe?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Gordon

I would check the ingredients.  If there are nitrates/nitrites, I would have a bunch of happy dogs.  With high blood pressure.

I am a biiiiiiiiig chicken though.  Olds may have a better opinion.  If he is not too busy....

Gordo

iceman

Why not just add more meat and solve the whole problem? Otherwise Gordo is right about the nitrites. That much extra plus the extra salt is going to make a looser and an unsafe product.[xx(] If what you have is just a day old and refrigerated you can easily add more groung meat if you have it.

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

WTF let me get this straight, they took the cure/mix for 100 lbs and split it half? then they were going to make two 25 lbs batches of sausage? but threw the cure/mix for 50lbs into one 25lb batch or both? if both just add about 10 to 15 lbs more meat to both batches and maybe some sugar to off set the salt.

JJC

From a health and safety standpoint, having 50# worth of cure in 30# of meat will not create any problems. You don't want to go much above that, certainly not on a regular basis, but as a one-off thing it's fine.  Can't speak for the effect on flavor though.  Certainly the idea of adding some more meat to bring the cure level to "normal" would solve the taste problem.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!