Favorite Commerical Jerky Seasoning Kits

Started by Jimbo, December 16, 2005, 04:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

What's everyone's favorite Commerical/store bought seasoning kits for whole meat jerky?  I have been looking at old posts and it looks like Hi-Mountain Seasonings is quite popular.  Any other brands that people like better or recommend?  I have some Hi-Mountain that I plan to use on some beef this weekend.  I tried it before on goose jerky in my dehydrator and turned out too salty both times I tried it.

Oyènkwara

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jimbo</i>
<br />What's everyone's favorite Commerical/store bought seasoning<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi-Mtn Cracked Pepper N' Garlic

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

jaeger

Jimbo,
For some reason, poultry will take on a salt flavor more than pork or beef. Anytime I am using a brine on poultry, I start lighter than recommended.(Assuming you used the HM Goose seasoning which is a brine)

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Jimbo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />Jimbo,
For some reason, poultry will take on a salt flavor more than pork or beef. Anytime I am using a brine on poultry, I start lighter than recommended.(Assuming you used the HM Goose seasoning which is a brine)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Doug,

I first used the regular Hi-Mnt jerky seasoning on the goose jerky and it turned out salty so I bought some of the jerky seasoning by Hi-Mnt that says "For Wild Goose" on the package and it was salty too.  I don't if they formulas are different or not.

I tried some H-Mnt Bourbon and BBQ jerky seasoning and did up some beef jerky in the BS.  It turned out bland and alittle dry (my fault on the dryness).  The search continues.....

jaeger

Jimbo,

My suggestion would be to try different amounts and/or additional spices to your next batch. You could have one half a tray with additional garlic powder, one half with black pepper, cayenne, red pepper etc...

I have had good luck with high mountain seasonings. Here is a seasoning that I have used for ground jerky. I thought it was really good. I just used the original.

http://www.eastmanoutdoors.com/flavors_jerky_seasonings.shtml

Do a google on eastman outdoors and I'm sure you will find more info.