• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trying goat for the first time (using my DCBE)

Started by TMB, October 24, 2011, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Well, I got this call from a friend today and he said swing by the house I have something for you.
Well I did and this is what he gave me to cook
One shoulder and one leg qt'r

Plus he gave me a rib half but not sure what in the wild wild world of sports to do with it yet (picture soon)

I decided to brine the leg qt'r in my bourbon brine (same brine as my deer brine)

I smoke on Tuesday and will post on how it goes (Lord I hope it does well)

I'll save the shoulder for Thursday, I want to see how this turns out first
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

classicrockgriller

Good Luck Tommy.  :-\

Will be watchin to see what happens.  :o

TMB

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 24, 2011, 05:56:30 PM
Good Luck Tommy.  :-\

Will be watchin to see what happens.  :o
Thanks Sonny,

I may stuff a little bacon in the cracks for insurance!  ;)   

i'll post as I go and pray for the best!

NePaSmoKer

TMB

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 24, 2011, 06:49:45 PM
Nice Tommy

Goat and rubber ducky  :o
If I'm not careful the goat will taste like the rubber ducky ;)

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 25, 2011, 07:07:05 AM
Is it smoking yet?
YEP, and here it is

OK the goats been washed off, rubbed and bacon on top.  I placed the hind qt'r in at 9:43 am and look for about 6 hrs till done

I used T2's swin and bovine rub on it after a nice mustard slather

Placed bacon on top to add some fat and in to the DCBE's chamber

I'll post as the smoking goes with temps

OBTW Sonny, see the smoke!  ;D

classicrockgriller

TMB

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 25, 2011, 08:13:51 AM
da Smoke! da Smoke! ;D
Does a good job for sure.  Now we need to get you one of these DC smokers and you can take your chamber out of your SRG and try it  ;)

TMB

A little over 2 hrs and IT is at 130 while the chamber temp has gone up to 259. I need to seal the door better it's letting in to much air. 

Looks like A run to the Buck stove store is needed

mikecorn.1

Real nice. That smokes a rolling out of that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TMB

It's now 1:06 thats 1 hr and a few mins from the last post.        IT is now 158 and the DCBE is running 250 again   all looks good so far

I did mop one time so far but really don't think I need anymore it's full of juice now and still plump

TMB

Well I pulled the goat out at 8:03 pm IT was still around 168 to 171.  I believe the bacon on top is what was mesing me up.  This leg qt'r hit a stall at 157 and would not move for 1 hr then it started to climb. Now after it hit 171 it stalled again and would not move at all. 

I called up a few friends and asked them both agreed it may be a 2nd stall so I let it go for another few hrs and still the meat would not go higher then 175. So I thought it made it passed the stall, but it didn't it just fell to 168 then back to 171 then back to 167 then up... Did this for a few hrs (about drove me insane) so I took CRG's advice and pulled it to ck for sure.  What I found was the meat under the bacon was not cooking all the way while the out parts were done to perfection

The picture you see is the goat right out of the cooler (I FTC'd for 1.5 hrs)  Now I removed the bacon and placed the meat (in foil) in the oven to reach the proper temp.

I'll post on how it turns out 

tsquared

Nice job! i'm doing one up for Halloween. Oh..wait a minute--I thought you said GHOST!
T2

TMB

Well here it is smoked goat from the DCBE. 
Now I was up till midnight pulling this thing into pulled goat. I never knew it would take soooooo long to break down all the fat/connecting tissue that a goat has!!!!   I placed the leg qt'r in the oven at 9:40 pm and pulled it out at midnight at an IT of 201. 
Here is the pictures.   Sorry that 3 are the same but I wanted everyone to get a close look at it

And here is whats left, man there's a lot of silver skin and gristle in a goat.

I guess I just didn't wait long enough, I never knew a hunk of meat could be so stubborn and to hit the stall twice is a learning experience