Help

Started by JZ, November 09, 2011, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

My DBS died in the middle of a smoke with 8 racks of fish in it. The smoker was running at 140* for about 1 hr before it died.

I have 2 options; a) wait for my OBS to finish the fish in it then transfer the DBS fish into the OBS but that will mean I will have to stay up very late. Option b) is to put the fish back into a cooler and leave it on the deck (outside temps are just below freezing right now) then smoke the fish tomorrow. Don't know if that is safe or not. I checked the IT of the fish in the OBS and it is sitting around 70* to 75*.

Any suggestions?

squirtthecat

I'd think if you could get the temps of the fish down quickly, they would be safe in your cooler outside..

Full disclosure:  I've never cold smoked fish like you guys are doing.

JZ

Thanks squirtthecat.

OBS just finished and I am going to try to get the rest of the fish done tonight.

By the way I am hot smoking (or trying to) per Bradleys method, which is start at 100*-120* for 1 to 2 hrs then bump to 140* for 2 to 4 hrs then bump to 175* for 1 to 2 hrs.

beefmann

never done fish, though id finish  smoking then move into  the  main oven  turning it to the  lowest temp... 200 to 250 if possible and cook till finished

zueth

Quote from: beefmann on November 10, 2011, 12:12:36 PM
never done fish, though id finish  smoking then move into  the  main oven  turning it to the  lowest temp... 200 to 250 if possible and cook till finished

I would not recommend this, this will dry out the fish.

JZ

Thanks Zueth - I should have responded earlier. I ended up putting the DBS fish into the OBS and finished the smoke around 11PM. This is on another thread ... forgot about this one.