Jerky - what temp and for how long in a PID/Bradley?

Started by dubob, October 28, 2011, 04:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubob

I have a recipe from a waterfowl website but the smoking was done in a Big Chief.  The recipe looks to be a real winner but I want to do it in my Bradley with a PID controller.  So my question is what should I program the PID to do as far as setting the temps and the times.  The Bradley is a digital so I'll have to turn the generator on by hand at the appropriate time and manually set the length of time.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

viper125

Did mine at 160 degrees with 1 hour of smoke. Probably cut back to 20-40 minutes next time. After smokings done  pull water dish out and empty. Keep vent open wide to let moisture get out. Pull when you can bend it and it gets cracks but don't break.
Also goose makes excellent jerky!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

What kind of meat are you smoking and does the recipe include cure #1, how many pounds of meat are you smoking. This will help others help with times and temps programming your pid ;)

dubob

Quote from: Keymaster on October 28, 2011, 05:36:06 PM
What kind of meat are you smoking and does the recipe include cure #1, how many pounds of meat are you smoking.
This batch will be about 3 -4 pounds of duck breasts sliced into strips.  The marinade does not include any cure; just brown sugar, teriyaki, orange juice concentrate, ground ginger, hot sauce, garlic salt & black pepper to taste, & water.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss