first pork butts

Started by shmrcc23, June 12, 2011, 05:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shmrcc23

did my first butts thur night and came out great...but i think i gave it to much smoke...whats the normal amount one does or is it to taste.. they took about 12hr and then wrapped in double foil and put in small cooler till dinner..great

pensrock

How long did you let the smoke go? I normally go for 3-4 hours depending on how big the butt is. Also what kind of wood did you use? You can always try a milder wood like apple or alder.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on June 12, 2011, 06:59:37 AM
How long did you let the smoke go? I normally go for 3-4 hours depending on how big the butt is. Also what kind of wood did you use? You can always try a milder wood like apple or alder.

Ditto 3-4 hours
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

i go for 3 hours typically

FLBentRider

I put four hours on butts
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ghost9mm

3 to 4 hours depending on the size of the butt...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

shmrcc23

hey guys thanks for all the info...i guess i smoked them alittle too long....8h and it took 12 h....each one was 4lbs

wyoduke

The longest i smoke butts is between 5 and 6 hours but the butts i use are around 10 pounds so i would cut back your time by half .
just add some bbq sauce and eat it up ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

hutchinaugusta

Stupid newbie question, at what point do you introduce the smoke, at first, in the middle or the end??

FLBentRider

At first. Raw meat takes smoke better.

The generally accepted premise is that meat stops absorbing smoke after the (meat) temp reaches 140F. This has been debated much.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

At the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike