Newbie Wet Age Brisket Question

Started by TomW, October 28, 2011, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I have planned to wet age a brisket for 21 days.  At Sams today, I got one.  The question is, does wet age include the time it was in the store?  The "sell by" date is tomorrow.  Can I still wet age for 3 weeks?  I'm confused.

Thanks in advance
Tom
I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

mikecorn.1

Here's a thread that was posted on this topic. It also has a link in it that you can look at. Others will be by.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24543.msg294960#msg294960

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TomW

Thanks.  I don't see any information regarding sell by date vs wet aging.  I just don't want to screw it up!

Tom

TomW

Keymaster

I would go to this forum and ask the same question as a guest under Beef Thread. This guy has done a lot of wet and dry aging.
Sorry for redirecting to another forum. But sounds like he needs a experts opinion now
http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi

Actually here is his thread on wet aging

http://askabutcher.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Beef&action=display&thread=54

GusRobin

I have wet aged briskets in the original cryovac package for 30 days. Never thought to worry about the sell by date. Just made sure it smelled ok when I opened it. I don't know if I did something that was a no-no, but never thought about looking at the date. 
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caneyscud

When you do something there really should be a reason.  What are you trying to achieve by having a wet aged brisket?  Better taste - there are examples of taste tests around that say that there is a difference, and many that say there isn't an iota of a difference.  Tenderness?  Same - some swear it tenderizes some swear that it doesn't.  I'd wager a great big bet that there are very few commercial institutions that "wet-age" their brisket.  They couldn't afford to carry that much meat in a cooler for "x" number of days for something that may or may not make their bbq better.  I'm not trying to get you not to.  Many swear that it makes a difference.  Many swear that it doesn't.  Until you do it, you won't be able to truly decide.  I did - for me it ain't worth the trouble, the time, the worry, and the refrigerator space.  I'm not all that thrilled about maybe risking a good piece of meat to spoilage.  The second an animal is killed, it starts to decay.  There is a proper resting period for meat and past that, I don't care to adventure to.  Dry aging is a slightly different story,  I think that does do some good, if you like the eventual taste.  BUT there have been tastes tastes where overwhelmingly more people picked a normal steak over an aged steak. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

GusRobin

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 30, 2011, 11:42:22 AM
When you do something there really should be a reason.  What are you trying to achieve by having a wet aged brisket?  Better taste - there are examples of taste tests around that say that there is a difference, and many that say there isn't an iota of a difference.  Tenderness?  Same - some swear it tenderizes some swear that it doesn't.  I'd wager a great big bet that there are very few commercial institutions that "wet-age" their brisket.  They couldn't afford to carry that much meat in a cooler for "x" number of days for something that may or may not make their bbq better.  I'm not trying to get you not to.  Many swear that it makes a difference.  Many swear that it doesn't.  Until you do it, you won't be able to truly decide.  I did - for me it ain't worth the trouble, the time, the worry, and the refrigerator space.  I'm not all that thrilled about maybe risking a good piece of meat to spoilage.  The second an animal is killed, it starts to decay.  There is a proper resting period for meat and past that, I don't care to adventure to.  Dry aging is a slightly different story,  I think that does do some good, if you like the eventual taste.  BUT there have been tastes tastes where overwhelmingly more people picked a normal steak over an aged steak.

Yeah forgot to add that I didn't notice much difference. I only buy choice grade briskets, perhaps it may make more of a difference with select grade.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TomW

Thanks for the great answers.  Packed date is the key (from the askabutcher site).  This makes sense.  As for why to wet age? ....well.... mostly curiosity...<grin>.  The brisket in question is going into the freezer this morning (cant cook it till after next weekend).

Tom