Buttermilk marinade

Started by herbiehusker, October 31, 2011, 07:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbiehusker

The other day I was watching the Food Channel and the guy was travelling the country for the best fried chicken.  The majority of the top notch places marinaded the chicken with buttermilk before frying.  I got to wondering if anybody had marinaded turkey before smoking.  Was thinking of doing this for Thanksgiving.  Please share your experiences.

Tenpoint5

I be thinking that would be a whole bunch of buttermilk wasted after brining a turkey in it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I did a bone-in turkey breast like that once..   Takes a LOT of buttermilk.   Personally, I don't think it was worth the $$ and hassle.

Caneyscud

I've done the buttermilk for chicken for decades - I learned from my Mom.  However, never done on a whole turkey before.  Have used for turkey breast tenderloins that were then fried.  That worked, but as already stated, it works for frying chicken very well, if you have non-enhanced chicken, but not sure if it would be worth the hassle and expense for a whole turkey.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"