Help with making jerky

Started by NewbieSmoker, October 28, 2011, 06:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewbieSmoker

Hi there everyone, I am new to smoking and am looking to do some jerky, have quite a bit of moose meat in the freezer that needs to be used up. :)

So I have been reading the forums now for a few months and specifically trying to find a good recipe with instructions for making jerky. From reading all the postings on here is seems everyone has a different opinion for the cooking times, whether to use cure or not, how long to smoke, etc, etc.

This will be my first time doing jerky, completely in the original Bradley smoker, I do not have a dehydrator. I will be using moose meat cut in strips. Does anyone have a basic jerky recipe along with instructions on how to go about it from step 1 to the end? I noticed some people leave the meat in the smoker for quite along time (over 10hrs) well others only for maybe 5 or 6 or less. Do you smoke right away? or wait an hour or so after putting in the smoker? What temperatures do you use for each stage? After the jerky is complete how do you store it? Can you just put it in a jar on the counter?

Sorry for so many questions. There are just so many different instructions that people have provided.

thanks in advance

cajunboudreaux

I do the simple thing. Slice meat into the size you want, marinade in your favorite seasonings and marinade in a large ziplock bag overnight in the fridge. Preheat OBS. I smoke Jerky at 170 with vent wide open for about 7 hours rotating trays every 2 hours.. Apply enough pucks to smoke for 3 hours. most like testing doneness of jerky by bending it. I like mine alittle cripsy. When done sprinkle a little cajun seasoning on it and just place in a ziplock bag. my opinion it is better the next day after resting in the fridge.Remember to try and keep the door closed as much as possible... it is a big no no to keep opening that door and loosing heat..
Laissez les bon temps rouler

NewbieSmoker

Thanks for the reply, do you have any marinading recipes that are good I could try?

smokeitall

Here is my basic starter jerky recipe.  Tweak to your liking.  Omit the liquid smoke if your smoking in the Bradley.  If you like terriyaki jerky sub out the soy for terriyaki.  If you have a specific taste you are looking for let us know.

5 lb batch   
2.00   cups   Soy sauce
0.50   cup   Worchestshire
0.50   cup   Liquid smoke
0.50   cup   Brown sugar
1.00   Tb   Garlic powder
1.00   Tb   Onion powder
1.00   Tb   Crushed red pepper
1.00   Tb   Black pepper
1.00   tsp   Pink cure

NewbieSmoker

Thanks for the recipe. We will give it a try, maybe with the teryacki instead of the soy sauce. We are probably going to try this next weekend. Will let you know how we make out.