Sauerkraut 2011

Started by 3rensho, November 04, 2011, 04:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

The cast of characters -

Getting ready -

First cabbage in, salted and ready to be beaten senseless with wooden club -

All cabbage (11kg) shredded, under brine with whole cabbage leaves and ceramic D-rings holding it down -

Then lid on, fermentation lock (moat) filled with water, 24 hr at RT and then into cellar where meats are hung.  Should be ready mid-December.   Will go with homemade Bratwurst and various smoked sausage.  If you like Sauerkraut and haven't made your own you should give it a try.  Tastes nothing like the commercially made crap.

Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

viper125

Nothing like homemade! We do it too. But we make and can it in quart jars. Keeps very well and tastes great!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

3rensho

I usually freeze mine in packages when the right degree of sourness is achieved.  Works well too.

ghost9mm

Up till two years ago we used to make 40 gallons of sauerkraut a year, this was a 9 member family project...my one grandson still makes some and we help him and we bag it and freeze it when ready...still the best...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

We make about 40-50 quarts for our own use. There is just my wife and I. We also give our kids a quart or to when they want. Use to make in the crocks also. But I like it better in the jars now and a lot easier for us.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

That looks great, but now you got me thinking of kimchi.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Quotenow you got me thinking of kimchi.

Got a couple of pounds already stinking up the fridge in the cellar - great stuff

Quarlow

Mmmmm sauerkraut. I just had a great big Rueben sandwich with lots of kraut made right at the resturant. Best I ever had. Thats my fav sandwich too, if it is good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

QuoteI just had a great big Rueben sandwich...

Thanks for the reminder.  I've got to get some pastrami going.

MidKnightRider

MMmmmmm,, fresh kraut.
My Mother use to make it in put it up in glass jars also.
Might just have to start doing it myself. Will just have to find room for it!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Quote from: 3rensho on November 04, 2011, 10:43:11 PM

Got a couple of pounds already stinking up the fridge in the cellar - great stuff

Would it be possible to get the Kimchi recipe from you? When I called off the Practice Marriage the psychotic one took my cookbooks that had all of my hand written recipes in it. Kimchi happens to be one of the recipes I have not been able to recover the right recipe for. So I keep trying different ones until I get the right one again.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 09, 2011, 03:38:11 PM
Quote from: 3rensho on November 04, 2011, 10:43:11 PM

Would it be possible to get the Kimchi recipe from you? When I called off the Practice Marriage the psychotic one took my cookbooks that had all of my hand written recipes in it. Kimchi happens to be one of the recipes I have not been able to recover the right recipe for. So I keep trying different ones until I get the right one again.

Sure. I have a couple, but misplaced one of my best recipes. The one that I misplaced was given to me by a Korean doctor.

I won't be logging back on until tomorrow. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Look forward to the recipes. My recipe was from a friend of mine in Germany who was married to a Korean lady.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!