Another Bad Heating Element

Started by JZ, November 09, 2011, 05:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Started smoking a double batch (8 racks) of salmon on my DBS and part way into the smoke I notice the heat dropping too much. Turn up the temp setting on the panel but the temp keeps dropping. The panel is set at 150* but the IT is 105 *. Read an earlier thread about the same issue. Checked the heating element with an ohmmeter and sure enough it is dead. Checked the serial number and it is one of the bad ones that were listed earlier. Called Bradley and left a message at 4:00 PM. No response yet and I am guessing they are probably closed for the day.

I have my old OBS smoking another batch of salmon and it hasn't seen may uses. Hopefully that does not have one of these POS elements in it. As soon as that batch finishes I will transfer my fish from the new DBS into the OBS and pray that it makes it through the full smoking period. Probably going to be up till midnight getting this done.

Bradley should recall these crap elements so that others don't get stuck with similar situations.

kelpiedg

my element just went out for the second time.  always seems to happen when you have something big planned

beefmann

seems like there is  still elements that are going bad, though Bradley has been good about replacing them.. just a big  pain

viper125

About 6 months with my OBS and all is well. Did buy an extra just in case.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

I was told awhile ago that it takes a long time to build a good reputation and no time at all to get a bad one.

When the word spreads about Bradley smokers not being reliable their sales will drop. They should nip this in the bud and make sure none of these crap elements make it to market.

devo

Just wondering if you can see the date stamped on the element.

kelpiedg

it looks like a 1006, so it looks like my replacement was still part of the bad ones.  Did I read right some where that they use a different one now? 

devo

Ya thats still the old batch. My last one that went was 1010 and Brian from bradley said it was in that time period.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: devo on November 13, 2011, 08:42:00 AM
Ya thats still the old batch. My last one that went was 1010 and Brian from bradley said it was in that time period.
Where at on the element is this #. I have another one sitting around to dual mine out. It has GYO 1104 on it. I guess that's the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

kelpiedg

well hopefully we can get all of these worked out of the system. I definitely seem to get more out of my bad elements then most. I probably had 20 hot smokes and a butt load of jerky. 

devo

The 1104 is the date which I think should be from the new batch  ???

JZ

New elements arrived today. The last part of the serial number on both is GYO 1104. I think this is the good batch. Time will tell and if there is a problem with these I will report back -- so others know. If not then they are good.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on November 17, 2011, 09:14:31 PM
New elements arrived today. The last part of the serial number on both is GYO 1104. I think this is the good batch. Time will tell and if there is a problem with these I will report back -- so others know. If not then they are good.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike