• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

It's jerky time.

Started by Quarlow, November 11, 2011, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

So I have sometime this long weekend, so it's jerky time. I started with a 8 lb eye of round roast.

Which I trimmed as best as I could.

14 oz. of trim

What a waste, sort of. My bros dog will get all but the fatcap. Ran it through the bain of my existance. A cheapy Salton meat slicer. Dang I hate the thing which I bought for $15 at the swap meet I use to go to with my sister to sell her handmade soap back when she was still able to walk (MS). It doesn't have the slide tray so at some point I will likely slice the heal of my hand off.

I divided the pile into 2 so as to flavour them different. Just for fun I put each pile on the scale to see how accurate I was. 1 pile was 3 lbs 4 oz. the other was 3 lb4.5 oz. That blew me away. Because I am leery of this slicer I had some chunks that I cut into nuggets.

Here are the players.

The first bag got CT sauce. The second got sweet teriyaki which is mixed from bottled sauces mix to taste. The nuggets got another mix of teriyaki sauces but with a healthy dose of maple syrup. oops I forgot the pics of it in the bag all happy and marinading. Oh well, later. So this will get continued tomorrow when it hits the smoker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Lookin' good cuzin.  Looks like the slicer did a decent job but definitely watch the hand.  I've actually never done jerky.  I'll be curious to see how it comes out.  Marinade ingredients look good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

viper125

Looking very good! I also prefer eating it that way instead of G.B. but wife likes it ground. (Dentures!) Looks like it will be very good. Except we dont care much for Maple except on pancakes. I think all you Canadians must pee Maple. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Yeah I hate that thing. In fact when I do buy a new one it is going in the garbage unless someone can use parts from it. The blade is super sharp but the thickness adjuster slowly gets thicker and thicker so you have to readjust it or you end up with steaks instead of jerky.
I cut this EYE across the grain so it is easier to chew where I usually cut it lenght wise. My wife and kids don't like much spicy so I went with sweet teriyaki, plus I have to watch my spices too. I like some spicy but I pay for it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Actually viper it hardly even tastes of the maple, it just is a different sweet than the honey.

OBS
BBQ

ghost9mm

Q...looks like you are off to a good start, will be watchin for the finished jerky...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Quarlow

Thanks guys. Sorry bout the pics. It is a inexpensive camera and unless you are very still or have a tripod they come out like that.

OBS
BBQ

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Q

Hey i know this guy that makes killer jerky cutting boards. Want me to put a good word for ya  :o

KyNola

Quarlow

Ok so this is starting out to a pain in the _ _ s. To start with we had a major wind storm yesterday and I figured it had blown itself out. This morning looked alright, overcast but not to bad. So I set up on the table out back, the only place I have to do my smoking. Everything is going and warming up nicely so I went in to get the racks ready. I step out to see how the temps are and yup, it is raining. Ok I roll with it. Get the cover for the gazebo out and put it up, push the table underneath. Back in to the house to wait for the temp, take a look out and, yup the wind is blowing a fairly stiff breeze.  In fact as we speak my gazebo is trying to take flight.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Horizontal rain, what a friggin' pain. Going to have to let the smoke run and then shove it in the oven. I really wish I gotten the dehydrator I was looking at. Anyway I will post some more pics if the wind doesn't carry the smoker away..

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

So here are pics. Smoker on, PID running.

Here is the bags of marinating meat.

Racks loaded in.

But I had these nuggets to do and I don't have frogmats. So I came up with "Mosquito Mats. (patent applied for) LOL

I had a roll of aluminum window mesh so I cut a piece and put it on the rack.

Then I put the nuggets on it and it works good.

First I put the nuggets into a strainer so as to drain the marinde.

I sprayed it with cooking spray then I realized I didn't spray the racks with the jerky on them so they should be well stuck to the racks. Not the first time I done that.

OBS
BBQ

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Quarlow

I just moved it to the oven. The weather is the sh#$s and I couldn't get the temp up over 140f. I am feed up with this and going to get a dehydrator.

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Quarlow! I think I'm going to build a wooden dehydrator. Have been surfing looking at different ideas. Some are using a fan and series of bulbs for heat. Looks easy and probably work pretty good. I have a couple small plastic ones but to small. Plus I like to build things.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.