Smoking Advise

Started by BrentK, May 14, 2004, 08:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentK

Well, I started the goose jerky at 10:30 this moring.  As of 2:30 they look like there just about ready.  I do have a question about how to interpret the recipes for BS smoking.  When a recipe calls for smoking an item..say ribs...for 6 to 8 hours.  Does that mean you apply the smoke for that entire time???  I hope I'm not missing the obvious here.  

Brent K
Grand Forks, ND[8D]

Cold Smoke

Brent, the amount of smoke you apply is somewhat a matter of personal preference so I'll just tell you what I do. Typically, I'll toss in 4 to 8 bisquettes (pucks)per smoking session depending on what I'm smoking and the quantity of meat per batch. For a twelve # gobbler I'd even increase that number a bit but if I'm smoking a couple of butts that I've baconized (buckboard) I would likely use 4 pucks or so- I find the bacon needs less smoke. From what I've heard or read somewhere I believe the smoke stops being absorbed by the meat being smoked once it reaches an internal temperature of about 140 degrees or so- after that you're just wasting pucks- I may be wrong on that- someone else here might have more precise info. So say a typical 6-10 hour smoking session for me would be approx 1-3 hrs of actual smoke time(4-8 pucks, give or take) and the rest is just cooking time.

Hope this helps- my 2 cents.

Let us know how that goose jerky worked out.

Cold Smoke

Fuzzybear

I like a lot of smoke and about double what Mr. Smoke does....my gobbler smoked for at least 1/2 to 2/3rds the total cook time - each puck goes 20 minutes so that would have been between 6 and 9 pucks...

Talk about preference on the smoke flavor!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />From what I've heard or read somewhere I believe the smoke stops being absorbed by the meat being smoked once it reaches an internal temperature of about 140 degrees or so- after that you're just wasting pucks- I may be wrong on that- someone else here might have more precise info<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">CS,
If that info comes from me, I am only proposing my experiences & personal tastes. Apparently, I like a lot more smoke flavor than you, but that is beside the point.

Maybe the post you're thinking about is where someone asked whether to apply the smoke at the beginning or the end? I do think that after a certain point, the "meat" won't absorb any more smoke, but the "crust" still can become "super-smokey" & benefit the overall taste of, let's say, a shredded pork butt.

Like you said <b>"the amount of smoke you apply is somewhat a matter of personal preference"</b> and that's why we're all here sharing our experiences![:)][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />
Quote<i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />From what I've heard or read somewhere I believe the smoke stops being absorbed by the meat being smoked once it reaches an internal temperature of about 140 degrees or so-

I'm still trying to find the source of that info- I don't think it came to me in a dream [?][:)] I'll keep digging...

QuoteMaybe the post you're thinking about is where someone asked whether to apply the smoke at the beginning or the end? I do think that after a certain point, the "meat" won't absorb any more smoke, but the "crust" still can become "super-smokey" & benefit the overall taste of, let's say, a shredded pork butt.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I guess the message that I was trying to make is that different meats might require different/varying amounts of smoke. I've yet to oversmoke a chicken, turkey or a butt, but I have definately oversmoked ribs and bacon. All a matter of trial and error and that personal preference thing again....

Cold Smoke

BrentK

Thanks to all of you for the advise!![:D]

I went with 2 1/2 hours of smoke time on the goose jerky this weekend.  It took about 8 hours for the thin cut stuff 1/2" x 2" wide. and about 10hrs for the thick cut 5/8" x 2".  Sprinkled a little brown sugar over the top just before smoking...and I think it may be the best batches I ever done.[:)][:)]

I can't wait to get started on the Ribs, Butt, Chicken, Turkey,etc,etc,etc.

Have a GREAT day.

Richard Pearce

quote]

I've yet to oversmoke a chicken, turkey or a butt, but I have definately oversmoked ribs and bacon.

Cold Smoke
[/quote]
I agree entirely; ribs, jerky, fish and bacon can be oversmoked (or possibly overdriedout (sp!) easily but it takes skill and efort to oversmoke the others![:)][:)]

Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.
Richard Pearce

MallardWacker

Richard you are sooo right.  Ribs are different....Butts and birds, no problem.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...