• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Has anyone tried Cabelas Teriyaki jerky Mix

Started by smokingron, November 14, 2011, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingron

Today I am attempting 3 lbs 15 oz of round steak stripped in 1/4 inch strips seasoned with cabela's brand Teriyaki seasoning.  Has anyone tried this yet?  I usually use Hi mountain brand but my brother-in-law raves about the cabela's brand.  I used about 4 lbs of meat but seasoned like it was 5 lbs.  My experience in the past with other premixes is that seasoning for exact poundage of meat that it seems a little under flavored.  Has anyone else ever encountered this and what are everyone's thoughts.   Have fun and as I learned yesterday from 10.5 PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE

smokingron

NePaSmoKer

The Cabelas mixes are made by PS Seasonings which is a top shelf company.

Yeah the HM line sux

smokingron

also any smoking tips for jerky are welcome I have made several batches but always looking to tweek for perfection

Sailor

Looking good!  One of these days you might want to invest in some frog mats.  They sure make clean up a breeze and keep stuff from falling thru the baskets.  http://www.yardandpool.com/High-Temperature-Jerky-Drying-Screen-p/hitempjrky.htm

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ghost9mm

Good start, will be watchin for the money shot...and agree that HM stuff leaves alot to be desired...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

smoke.signals

I used the same method you mentioned in your original post.  For myself, Top Round Roast, 1/4" strips using the Cabela's Manual Jerky Slicer (a great product).  I tried the Cabela's BBQ Seasoning and Cure and let it cure overnight.  I put it out in the Bradley with mesquite wood.  6 1/2 hours, 140 degrees F, for 6 1/2 hours, smoking the entire time.

It was my first time trying jerky and I think I learned some lessons based on the results.
1) Let the cure soak for 24 hours.  Not much BBQ flavor.
2) Less smoke time.  The jerky pretty much taste like a mesquite campfire.  Maybe thinking of a different wood.
3) Cook time seamed right ... the jerky was tender dry but not over done.

How did your teriyaki jerky turn out?  I'm interested to know what wood pairs well with teriyaki cure.

Thanks!

Links:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Manual-Jerky-Slicer/716032.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Djerky%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=jerky&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products