• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cabelas Summer Sausage -25 pounds

Started by Tater, November 15, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tater

Hello all,

This is my second attempt at posting this.  The first time it all went into the ozone when I clicked the "Post" button.  I have made a couple of batches of the "Hi Mountain" sumer sausage and decided to try the Cabelas mix this time.  A couple of observations.  The High mountain mix had a handy little chart that helped you make different size batches if you wish.  The Cabelas mix did not.  The high mountain mix can be purchased locally for around $18.00 and will make 30 pounds of sausage.  The Cabelas mix, after shipping, cost me $30.00 and will make 25 pounds.  When all was said and done, I think I like the taste of the high mountain mix better but that's me.

In this batch I used 15 pounds of Costco pork butt and 10 pounds of Costco hamburger.  The fat content was just about perfect for my taste.

Pork butts cut up and ready for a little stay in the freezer before grinding.

First grind

Second grind

Into the mixer, 25 pounds maxed out this mixer.  In this photo I had maybe 6 pounds loaded.

Mixed and ready for an overnight stay in the fridge.

Into the smoker

Money shots

25 pounds of chubby love vacuum packed and ready for the freezer.

This was fun and the first time I have made summer sausage in my new Bradley.  I'm going to smoke up some cheese and nuts and I'll have Christmas presents all taken care of.  Oh, I ordered a turkey roaster for my next batch.  The hot water bath method sounds like an awesome way to speed up the process!

Sailor

Want my address?  ;D  Looks good to me.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

MTFiddler

Tater,

Nice looking sausage even if it is more spendy. You did a very nice job. Now that it is snowing in our neck of the woods there is lots of time for this fun vice.

Lon

ghost9mm

Tater that summer sausage looks really good, just a great job my friend...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

cajunboudreaux

Very nicely done. I can't wait to try some summer sausage.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

OU812

That there SS looks great!

Ya done good Tater.

watchdog56

Good job. I have used the hot water method and it saves a lot of time and the sausage stays nice and plump. I see Target in our area(Minnesota) has the roasters on sale this week for $27. Good price if anyone needs one,I have one already.

NePaSmoKer

grnhs

bundy

Nice Job, good texture and all of that. Our local Walmart has the roasters on sale for $24.95. The water bath does save a lot of time. Waiting for the venison then will do the ss.

devo

Tenpoint5

Tater that's some good looking SS. You need to get in touch with Kirby (Pikeman_95) he is up there in Montana you boys. He makes some water powered stuffers that makes things even easier yet
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tater

Thanks everyone for the compliments

Tenpoint5, I have been in touch with Kirby.  I will be doing some business with him and meet him as soon as I get Christmas out of the way.  Anyone know how many Montanans are on the forum?

djkost

Nice job,. I'm going to make some to but have a couple of questions for you. How long did you smoke it and at what temp ? How do you snuff the big casings and what size casing did you use? Did you finish them off in water?

Tater

Djkost,  It was below freezing so I had a little difficulty getting the temp up but I smoked them at 140 for 4 hours with Hickory, then turned the temp up to 160 for probably another 8 hours or so.  I wasn't really paying attention to the time as much as I was watching the internal temp.  I stuffed them with a 5 pound stuffer that I bought at Northern Tool.  I did not finish them off in water this time because I hadn't read how to do it yet.  Next time I will be finishing off in water for sure!