Min Outside Temp For SG

Started by JZ, November 16, 2011, 05:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Does anyone know what minimum outside temperature the digital SG can tolerate? I keep bringing it in after each smoke but that is getting to be a pain the butt. I left the OBS SG outside in temps as low as -35C and it lived but not sure if the digital display can handle that.

devo

Mine spent all last winter outside and it still works fine. It was sheltered from the snow and wind but went through 40 below temps.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Mine stays outside in the smokin shed year round, I just heat up the smoker till its up to temp before turning on the generator.

But I live in Nebraska.

JZ

Thanks Devo - mine is on my roof covered deck but blowing snow can still get to it. I have the bradley cover over the whole works so I guess I should be ok.

OU812 - I don't live close to Nebraska so I don't know how cold it gets there. I do like the idea of a smoke shed though. That way the smoker does not have to be in my shop.

JZ

Just want to double check  ----- Devo is your's a digital SG?

Jim O

Rather than take any chances,I bring the SG into the house during the winter months. Temps here can reach -15-20 C during the colder months.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

devo

Quote from: JZ on November 17, 2011, 09:08:26 PM
Just want to double check  ----- Devo is your's a digital SG?

Yes it is. If there was a problem with cold temps I would think Bradley would have put that in thier manual, then who in hell in Canada would buy one since it's below zero here 9 months of the year. Just use common sence, shelter or cover it and you will be fine. You car is full of electronic stuff and you don't bring that into the house every day.  ::)

JZ

Good point Devo.

I couldn't find anything in the manual so I thought I would ask here. Since there is nothing in the manual and I still have 10 1/2 months of warranty left I should be fine and now is definitely the time to try it.