Just finished my first smoke tonight and have some questions....

Started by Drury, November 22, 2011, 06:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drury

Hi All,
Just got my first OBS SS and have been reading around a bit. Smoked chicken tonight to start it off and have some questions after the fact.
Here's what I did.
- brined for 3 hours with a cup of coarse salt and a cup of brown sugar.
- rinsed then marinated for one hour prior to smoke.
- smoked with maple at 210 or less (mostly less as the smoker had a hard time getting up to temp) until internal temp of the chicken reached 165

First question, the chicken was very tasty and juicy but the chicken was very salty from the brine. The salt didn't come from the marinade as I have used it many times before and it's not salty. Any other ideas for a brine that would be less salty or just skip the brine and use the marinade?

Second, I used the Maverick ET73 thermometer and it did well but the range was weak. I found myself not getting accurate temps unless I went back outside. Anyone know if the Maverick ET732 has better range?

Much appreciated,
D

mikecorn.1

The et732 has extended range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Meat tooth

I only brine for 20~30 min max. Thats plenty! If you're going to marinade, why would you brine? I always make sue the chicken is at 180F before I eat it - making sure all the bad stuf is dead, plus I like it when it comes off the bone easy. I've had issues with my Maverick, even after the range mod, it just loses connection with the base for no apparent reason, this is frustrating, I know. I'm sure one of the veterans on here will have more/ better info, but I thought I would put in my two cents' worth, based on my experiences...  8)
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

TedEbear

Quote from: Drury on November 22, 2011, 06:30:11 PMSecond, I used the Maverick ET73 thermometer and it did well but the range was weak. I found myself not getting accurate temps unless I went back outside. Anyone know if the Maverick ET732 has better range?

The specs on the ET-732 list a range of up to 300 ft.  I know mine will read anywhere in the house, unlike some others I've had before this one.

viper125

I can read mine in the house any where at around 100 ft. Or any where out side on  my 3 1/2 acres

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Drury;

Welcome to the forum.

From your post I take it you are dry brining. If you didn't dry brine, what amount of water and other liquids did you mix the salt and sugar in?

Did you start with an already enhanced chicken? If so, have the other chickens you've brined been enhanced?

It could be a combination of the salt in the brine, and any salt in the marinade. I would do one or the other. If you use a wet brine you can add the ingredients of your marinade into the wet brine to get the additional flavors?

To reduce the saltiness, as Meat tooth already mentioned, you can reduce your brine times. Also allow the chicken to rest several hours after removing the brine. Once the brine is removed, the brining action is still continuing. There will be a heavier concentration of salt towards the surfaces of the meat, than the center. Allow the meat to rest will ensure the salt is evenly distributed.

You can also reduce the amount of salt you use, but I'm not sure if reducing the amount of salt in a dry brine, will be as effective as adjusting the salt in a wet brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)