Thanks Mike for the kielbasa recipe

Started by MTFiddler, December 09, 2011, 05:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTFiddler

I know others have used it, but I just can't pass up the chance to thank Mr. Walleye for his recipe.

Got Dad hooked now, he was grinding 50% deer and 50% pork butt

Stuffed using Kirby Cannon

Smoked a couple hours and then hot bathed.
packaged into 7" lengths

and then for the real test....

Halushka with potato dumplings and dutch oven beer bread

OH MY, I think dad's gonna retire early and start making sausage.

devo

Good looking kielbasa. And that plate is awesome. I have made Mikes kielbasa a few times and it always goes fast.

ghost9mm

Dang !!! that looks really good, and by the looks of that money shot plate you are gonna have to make some more real soon...lol..well done..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Sailor

Yeah Baby!  That's what I'm a talkin about.  Looks great!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

Lon
I checked the phone it seems to be working. I guess I just missed the call. Man that is a good looking plate. You are off and running. It looks like you are going to drag your dad down with you. As usual we might need samples some time. If you need some apple chips some time let me know.
Kirby

Thomas DeWitt

Please tell me the recipe for the dish at the end.  That looks awesome.
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

SiFumar

Mr Walleye

Thanks Lon

You and your Dad did it proud!  8)

Excellent!

I just made 100 lbs last night for my brother in law with the same mix. 50% venison and 50% pork. Just finishing packaging right now.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Keymaster

Wow, thats some good looking Kielbasa!!!!

MTFiddler

Quote from: Thomas DeWitt on December 09, 2011, 08:50:30 PM
Please tell me the recipe for the dish at the end.  That looks awesome.

Thanks everyone.

Thomas,

Halushka and potato dumplings

1 pound kielbasa
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
1/2 tsp caraway seed
2 cloves minced garlic
3 medium potatoes finely grated
1 egg
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste

In 4 qrt pot, get water boiling.

In fry pan, add a little bacon grease (original recipe calls for 1# bacon crisped and set aside, saving some of the grease for cabbage) and wilt the cabbage over medium low heat ( 20-30 minutes or until soft).  Season with 1/2 tsp caraway seed and garlic.

As cabbage is cooking mix potatoes, egg, seasoning salt, and flour together -- add more flour if needed to keep spoon standing upright (that's how you know if the dough is thick enough). Drop spoonful of dough into boiling water making sure to dip spoon in hot water first (this keeps dough ball from sticking to spoon).

Heat sausage to done.

As dumplings finish cooking (@ 5 minutes) rinse each batch with hot water quickly and set aside.

Lightly toss dumplings, sausage, and cabbage together and serve hot.

Lon

SiFumar

Thomas DeWitt

I can't wait to try this recipe.  This is right up my alley.
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.

Tater

Lon,
You are plowing yourself right up to the top here.  Fantistic recipe and execution.  Beautiful.  Thank you!  This is going right to the top of things I "Must Do"!
Tim