First smoke earlier today

Started by forrest2906, November 19, 2011, 09:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest2906

I smoked the first project today.  I bought 2 pork butts the other day and they totalled 12.80lbs.  I am thinking the smaller one was around 4.4-5.25. 
I placed it in the smoker this morning at 6:30 after it preheated to 230 degrees.  did a 3 hour smoke with mesquite and dry rubbed it with some stuff we had around the house.   It finally got to an internal temperature of 190 and pulled it out of the smoker at 4:00 p.m.

We let it cool down to about 160degrees before we pulled it apart.  It tasted great.    I have just put the larger one in the smoker tonight at 10:30.  I figured since it is in the 7-8lb range it will take a bit longer to cook.  I watched the temp earlier with a 732 that we bought.  Occasionally the smoker would get up to about 260 degrees, but that was later in the afternoon when it was getting warmer ( about 40 degrees ).  I know it was in the mid 20's when I started it at 6:30.

Right now it is around 27 f, and will be clear here in Idaho.....   Any thought on how things should go?   Should I go for an internal temp closer to 200 degrees?
I did not take any pictures of the first one, but I did take a few pics of the second and will post those later so you can see the before and after pictures.
Thanks,  Chuckster

La Quinta

I wish I could help you Chuckster...just go with the same IT...just keep checking it...gonna take longer is my best guess?