Note to Self...

Started by Kummok, November 25, 2011, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Do NOT, I repeat...Do NOT place a small inverted bowl on top of The Big Easy to keep snow out at 17°F, after spending hours of clean/brine/oil/rub/smoke time on your turkey IF you want it to be brown instead of black.  :'(  Fortunately, only the skin and wing tips were blackened...the rest of the bird (meat) was best turkey I have ever had and garnered rave revues from the 17 dinner guests.  8)  First time using TBE so it coulda been worse. Will definitely be doing it again (except the bowl part!  :o )  ThanX again to all who posted great advice...it got me out of my "salmon only" rut (which, by the way is a GREAT rut to be in!)

I used the Alton Brown brine with only two mods....added two cups brown sugar (might explain a minor part of the easy charring of the skin) AND substituted 1/2 gal of COLD apple juice instead of the ice cubes. Smoked 3 hours @ 230°F with cherry pucks.

The "After TBE" pics were, well, black...so no sense posting those. But here's the Before and After pics of actual smoke stage:

After brine and racked in TBE rack for smoker

Start of smoke

After smoke and before TBE charring session

FLBentRider

Nice looking bird.

Now go get a pork butt!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Wow IS THIS A FIRST?? Kummok actually smoked something other than Salmon in his Bradley!!!! Like we say Even our mistakes still taste good most of the time
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kummok

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 26, 2011, 04:42:47 AM
.......Now go get a pork butt!

Great idea....is this Step #2 on the 12 step smoker program?

I actually got a little FTC practice in on this turkey "event" cuz the bird reached critical temp about 1.5 hours before Turkey #2 (Wife's backup bird in the oven). Didn't want it to cool down or dry out and then recalled you guys all talking about FTC over the years (NOT necessary knowledge for salmon  ;) ) so I foil wrapped the bird, grabbed the ice chest that the turkey had been brined in, threw in some towels then the bird....it was in there for 1.5 hours and turned out so moist, I think I'll plan that FTC phase ON PURPOSE into the next turkey event!

Kummok

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 26, 2011, 06:14:45 AM
Wow IS THIS A FIRST?? Kummok actually smoked something other than Salmon in his Bradley!!!! Like we say Even our mistakes still taste good most of the time

LOL...Definitely, 10.5!! Now I'm wondering what took me so long?!?!?  Guess that it's the abundant supply of the target species here (Feeder King Salmon)  This week I'm doing a huge amount of King salmon (and a little bit of moose) in preparation for an extended trip to Maori country....need trade stock for local foods!  ;) 8)   I will follow FLBR's advice upon my return and try a butt (NOT Halibut!).

Quarlow

I will follow FLBR's advice upon my return and try a butt (NOT Halibut!).
LOL now that is funny.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Crank Jiggle Jiggle Crank Jiggle Jiggle.......

Where do we go from here KyNola??

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kummok

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 26, 2011, 02:24:44 PM
Crank Jiggle Jiggle Crank Jiggle Jiggle.......

Where do we go from here KyNola??

My old body has been on wild game for so long, it doesn't respond well to beef anymore  :'(  so I'll skip the brisket and move on to Spring Black Bear ribs after the butt... ;)

Tenpoint5

If I remember right one should inject or marinate Bear in Coke prior to cooking to help break it down

Kummok

I was hoping that the 44-40 shock wave would do that, 10.5!  ;)

weedenb

Good job Kummok, nice to see someone trying to break out of the usual. You are more daring than me and fortunately the inlaws insist on Prime Rib for TG. Even I can't screw that up as long as I'm using my Maverick (both probes just in case!). Same for me, turkey and other exotics (beef, pork, etc.) are a bit of a mystery still. Bunch of snow here, the deer should be right on the beach. I'm hoping the bears have gone to bed but I'll still bring either the 45-70 or the 300 Win Mag just in case. Can't be too sure on Admiralty!

Backup plan for Xmas is some Red King Crab, Black Cod or a fresh feeder.

Best Wishes,

Robert...........

hal4uk

Quote from: Kummok on November 26, 2011, 12:46:04 PM
I will follow FLBR's advice upon my return and try a butt (NOT Halibut!).
Hey now...  Nothing wrong with some good Alaskan HALibut!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Kummok

Ahhhh, Robert, you DO know how to live!!  I miss Admiralty's easy deer/bear hunting...best venison ever tasted. Is the limit still 10 deer?

Kummok

Quote from: hal4uk on November 26, 2011, 07:50:22 PM
Hey now...  Nothing wrong with some good Alaskan HALibut!

Right you are but it's so doggone available up here, I've run out of ways to make it taste different....kinda like a chicken dinner for a chicken farmer.  ;)