• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

JJC All Just For You... You Mac User~~!

Started by Oldman, December 30, 2005, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Need a job? Don't use a Mac
Mac malware door creaks open
Apple patches a batch of Mac OS X flaws
Apple patches Mac OS X flaws
Apple resellers, consumers sue Mac maker
Apple releases patch for Mac OS X
Darwin flaws survive in Apple's Mac OS X
Apple releases security update to Mac OS X
Apple OS X security fix busts 64-bit support
Apple unloads dozens of fixes for OS X

I could go on but I think my point is made. Mac is not all that Mac users make it out to be. It is no safer than last years golden child Firefox which after being downloaded over 100 millon time is now being exploited.

Eating an Apple a day does not keep the doctor away... [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

I have to admit that the occasional times I can't run a program or access a website because it's PC-only are annoying.  It's not actually the PC world that I dislike--it's Microsoft.  However, at the risk of starting another food fight . . .

The OS X platform is much more stable than Windows--I use both systems and have literally 10X more freezes and crashes on the PCs, even though they're properly maintained by professionals and up-to-date.  

Apple fixes their security problems before they get exploited, whereas Microsoft invariably responds to a problem.

My problem with Microsoft (as opposed to the other major PC software providers) is that they produce really average products that they force on the marketplace through demonstrably illegal and unethical business practices.  This has driven many far superior products off the market, and Bill Gates' philanthropy is barely any consolation for me--he damn well owes the money he donates (and  lot more) to society for the way Microsoft has screwed up the entire industry.  Has Steve Job screwed up, and does Apple screw its users with expensive new operating systems every year--yes, but the scale is several orders of magnitude less than Gates and Microsoft.

And, while this is a compliment to Microsoft and the PC world in a way, one major reason that Macs are not hit with viruses very often is that they only represent about 3-5% of the market, so it's probably not worth it for a malicious hacker to spend his/her efforts on it!  That's why I don't really want too many folks to switch to Macs--just enough to keep Apple thriving!

I do agree that no computer system, including Macs, is what its proponents make it out to be.  Except maybe Linux . . . anybody?[:D]

P.S.--don't take my diatribe too seriously . . . just trying to provoke a friendly argument! [:D][:D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Hmmm . . . I see is Olds is perusing and posting this evening . . . how long before he pounces on this morsel? [:D][8D][:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">P.S.--don't take my diatribe too seriously . . . just trying to provoke a friendly argument!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">NP.  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I use both systems and have literally 10X more freezes and crashes on the PCs, even though they're properly maintained by professionals and up-to-date.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh please what are you running an upgraded Win 95? on an older 486er? I have not seen the blue screen of death since 98se. Of course I run XP Pro and keep it updated on a quality machine. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My problem with Microsoft (as opposed to the other major PC software providers) is that they produce really average products that they force on the marketplace <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The only thing I own that is from MS is XP. My word processor, paint program, spread sheet, data program, vector program etc. are not from MS. Next if MS products are so "average" why is it Mac sells MicroSoft Office? <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Macs are not hit with viruses very often is that they only represent about 3-5% of the market, so it's probably not worth it for a malicious hacker to spend his/her efforts on it! That's why I don't really want too many folks to switch to Macs--just enough to keep Apple thriving!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Perhaps you might want to read a little about what symantec has to say about Mac's OS. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Except maybe Linux <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Linux has it own problems. This is just one of them....Linux.Plupii

Without a doubt for what your get a Mac is an over priced item. If it was a serious machine then you would find it being used by the upper end gaming community--where dropping 9K every 2-3 years is not a problem. The Alienware (gaming system) I just price out is close to $9,500.00~~!!!! If Mac could produce a machine in that class then gamers would be using it.

As you said: <b>don't take my diatribe too seriously . . . just trying to provoke a friendly argument! [;)]</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Hmmm . . . I see is Olds is perusing and posting this evening . . . how long before he pounces on this morsel? [:D][8D][:D]

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Consider it done...

Olds

nsxbill

Damn, Olds.  I am glad you like your PC. I have a big quick mucho Ghz PC too, but have had a MAC since the day they came out, and given the choice between the two would always choose the Mac.  

I am sure glad you are happy with the Windows environment.  I would never choose to use a PC over a Mac, so I won't be converted.  

Enjoy your PC.  I will enjoy my Mac.

I have to use one at work to given medical advice from.   When I was in the Comptuter Embroidery business, I had to use a PC to convert files.  That's all the use I have for a PC.  Programming is cumbersome.  Too many commands to remember when I wanted to do something in DOS.  The shortcoming is that there a lot more programs for the PC.  That is still OK for me, because I can run the Dos and Windows software on my Mac, and it does just fine.

My son has software out the gazoo for PC, and he uses one now...but still has the MAC on his desk for massaging the photos he takes.   I personally enjoy every program working exactly the same, and to me, is like sitting down with an old friend.  

To me the PC is something I have to use at work... and something I enjoy shutting down once it is time to go home.

Happy New Year Raye!  [:D][:D]

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Too many commands to remember when I wanted to do something in DOS.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">*Cough*  You must be running an much older Windows. I have not had to use DOS since 3.1 back around 83-85.

Happy New Year Bill...

Olds

JJC

Geez, I had a feeling this would generate a bit of sizzle [}:)]

Just for the record, my PCs are all less than 18 months old, running XP Pro, and maintained by in-house pros.  Still get freeze-ups much more than on Macs.

Glad to see you're not a Microsoft fan.  And your comment about Macs using Microsoft Office is exactly my point--despite the fact its a second-rate product, Microsoft has used illegal business practices (as proven in several courts both here and in Europe) to ensure that it dominates the marketplace.

As for serious users (like gamers), I would suggest that scientists are equally serious users, and the vast majority of scientists that need high-resolution graphics use Macs-there's no doubt that Macs have superior graphics and image-editing capabilities.  I'm assuming that gamers prefer PCs becuase of the response time (a valid issue, to be sure), not the graphics.

As Bill says, I think we each enjoy what we're used to and what works best for what we do . . .  and I agree with you about them being over-priced (a bit), but once they get those Intel chips in them, baby, they'll be the biggest PC virus ever made.  Won't be any reason to have a PC--you can the best of Mac and the best of PC . . . [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

This is getting to be fun....
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Just for the record, my PCs are all less than 18 months old, running XP Pro, and maintained by in-house pros. Still get freeze-ups much more than on Macs.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ha ha ha... maybe you should fire those "Pros" and hire a kid who knows what is what. If you are really having lock ups then more than likely it is the hardware config. It could be the quality of the unit or driver conflict, or just a poorly written program... Again I don't use MS software other than XP. XP works and works well.

I almost fell out of the chair when I read this laughing...  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I would suggest that scientists are equally serious users, and the vast majority of scientists that need high-resolution graphics use Macs-there's no doubt that Macs have superior graphics and image-editing capabilities.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> What is so funny is the best card Mac offers is a dated NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM which is a take off of the NVIDIA (gamer's) GeForce 6600 with 256MB DDR SDRAM card~~config prices from 100.00 to about 220.00 LOL~~~! You want to talk about graphics? Go check out the SLI units that are running two NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB cards together. Then come back and let's talk about real graphic power. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">but once they get those Intel chips in them, baby, they'll be the biggest PC virus ever made. </font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">This is what John C. Dvorak who is a contributing editor of PC Magazine has to say concerning this: <b>I've never understood why the Mac nuts are in such denial over this platform shift. This change to Intel will not only save the platform but potentially drive it into a position of dominance. What will be lost, of course, is the niche and mystique aspect of the Mac which many of its users seem to relish as part of some misguided superiority complex.</b>  

There is a reason why Mac has moved from 68000 to the PowerPC and now a Intel processor... It is called PC power. [:D] I can just about bet ya that within a few years of the switch Mac will be eye-balling AMD processors as well. [^]

The days of the Mac as Mac users know it are now limited. [:0] Get over it. [:)] Once Mac it truly PC based then and only then will Mac with it software have a chance at being superior. BUT not until then.

Olds

JJC

Dear Olds,

I wave the flag in surrender . . . [:D][;)][}:)]

One question, though (seriously) . . .when you say graphics "power" do you mean actual resolution and color rendering of the image (which is what I care about in my work) or the combo of resolution and speed/response time?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

JJC we are too good of friends not to laugh over this thread.. Believe me in rendering,  raw power, quality of image using this new  SLI technology that is running two NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB cards create images will rival any ultra image photo you have ever seen... just blew me right out of the water. When I first saw them I challenged the image as not being renderd item but a high quality photo.... I was wrong... In truth I'm looking forward to the Mac/ Intel gig. Both bring so much to the table.

Ya I speak up for XP but not the rest of MS stuff... I'm hoping that this marriage will bring the both of the best worlds together. Then again we all have been lied to.....

IKnowWood

You all know my position on this.  Use the machine you want to use for the purpose you need to use it for.  If it not at the endges of these specific purposes, get what you want.

And regardless of what type, make sure you have a support network of folks to call on to help.  These days, its hard to maintain any system by yourself, regardless what it is.

What I am wondering (taking this thread a new direction) is how about those game consoles, they are gaining in power and flexability.  Are they now an added threat or advantage on the mainstream OS environment.

I have heard a lot of things about that XBox360 and the new Sony units.  Power under the hood on those looks cool.  Again, special purpose.  If they begin to expand, can they keep up?

I don't care. I prefer my OS based system.  I will play with my son on a Sony or Nintebo or XBox.  I still have fond memories of my Sega and Commadore from the past.

As far as power-graphics, we have some Linux, Windows, and Unix systems blended together doing some amazing Virtual Immersion with close-to-realtime haptic feedback.  Even elements of real-time rendering re-computations for proximaty and physics reactions.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes