OK OK Here Is A Secret

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 26, 2011, 12:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Nepas, Mr and I have been wanting to try making snak sticks for some time.
I think we have all the ingredients on hand, and just got the stuffing tube we ordered from SIA.
I think that is a sign for us to make some sticks, and soon!
Mrs

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: seemore on February 03, 2011, 06:16:44 PM
Nepas, Mr and I have been wanting to try making snak sticks for some time.
I think we have all the ingredients on hand, and just got the stuffing tube we ordered from SIA.
I think that is a sign for us to make some sticks, and soon!
Mrs

Cool beans  ;D

Post away.

Here are the sticks i did today.

Keymaster

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

I'm drooling....my lord those look good...bring some to NOLA? Please? Long flight for us...Bob will want a few!!!  ;D

pwaldman

When you say "lean beef", are you talking 80/20 GB or do you need to go leaner?

Pete

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pwaldman on February 15, 2011, 07:27:23 PM
When you say "lean beef", are you talking 80/20 GB or do you need to go leaner?

Pete

Yes

80/20 is my norm on all GB sticks. You can use 85/15 or even 90/10 but they are going to be kinda dry, some like them dry,

smoke em if you got em

I made these yesterday and they were good. The only problem I had was a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. I'm not sure what it was but it might be the cheap paprika or ground mustard I'm using. What kind do you use? Can you think of anything else that might be giving me that bitter aftertaste?
Thanks in advance
Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

SnellySmokesEm

Those look great Rick!  I just keep telling my self "one day, one day you'll be making sausage"
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Quote from: smoke em if you got em on July 14, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
I made these yesterday and they were good. The only problem I had was a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. I'm not sure what it was but it might be the cheap paprika or ground mustard I'm using. What kind do you use? Can you think of anything else that might be giving me that bitter aftertaste?
Thanks in advance
Mike

Are you using table salt, with Iodine in it?

That will give ya a bitter after taste, almost a tin taste.

Kevin A

Quote from: smoke em if you got em on July 14, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
Thanks in advance
Mike

If not the 'iodized' salt, using a cheap or old paprika and/or Mustard will definitely contribute to a bitter tasting product. Use the best & freshest you can get. Cost a bit more, but considering the time & $$ invested, I want to use only quality ingredients.

smoke em if you got em

OK I confess. Yes I used table salt. The funny thing is I have uniodized salt in the cabinet but I didn't realize I needed to use it instead of table salt. So I guess I should always use the uniodized salt when making sausage or jerky.
Yes I used cheap paprika and mustard.   You are right. It is a shame to spend all that time and money on a project and then ruin it by using cheap ingredients. Sometimes I have a hard time finding the good stuff at the local stores. I think I see a trip to Penzeys in my near future.
Thanks for your help.
Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

jiggerjams

Any suggestions on what smoke to use on these? I was thinking hickory or crown royal but I have apple, maple, special blend and cherry also.

JJ

jiggerjams

I decided to go with Sonny sauce.....Crown Royal :D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: jiggerjams on November 20, 2011, 07:40:46 PM
I decided to go with Sonny sauce.....Crown Royal :D

;D ;D ;D Can't go wrong with that. ;D