Smoking a whole turkey..HELPPPPPPP

Started by ngtgracie, November 21, 2011, 01:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngtgracie

Does any one know about how long it take to smoke a whole turkey and what temp to smoke it at. I need to figure out what time I have to get up in the morning to eat by 2.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Quote from: ngtgracie on November 21, 2011, 01:00:22 PM
Does any one know about how long it take to smoke a whole turkey and what temp to smoke it at. I need to figure out what time I have to get up in the morning to eat by 2.

How big is your bird?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Quote from: ngtgracie on November 22, 2011, 06:28:42 PM
20 Lb

That is a big bird for a Bradley. I would smoke it @250F, it is going to take 10-12 hours for a bird that big - vent wide open. If your IT is not 145-150F at noon, I would transfer to to oven @325F

You may want to consider transfering to a 325F oven after the smoke is done.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

drunknimortal

I really like my Bradley but I cook my turkey on my charcoal webber. It takes about 4 1/2hrs for a 20 lb bird. I throw a few wood chips in every hr and it comes out great.

TedEbear

Quote from: ngtgracie on November 21, 2011, 01:00:22 PM

Well, for future reference to anyone who may search, my first turkey smoke this past week took a total of 5 hours.  It was 13 lbs. I smoked it on a vertical turkey rack for about 4 hours at 230*F chamber temp until the internal temp at the thickest part of the breast reached 145*F. 

I then moved it to the oven and continued cooking at 325*F and it took about an hour to reach 165*F in the breast.  I let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes before carving.  Everyone said how juicy and tasty it was.  I think I did alright for a smoked turkey rookie.   :)