Caney's Carnivore Lasagne

Started by Caneyscud, November 30, 2011, 03:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Those who know me, know I like to experiment with food.  Much to the consternation of my wife. she likes things the way they were.  So I usually have to try out new things on my buddies.  I did this experiment for the recent Memorial Barbecue. 

Fade in - We see Caney in the cold dark kitchen in his footed jammies, still rubbing the sleep crud out of his eyes fumbling for the can of coffee.  Shhh

Caney says to himself  --  "Why not lasagne in the smoker?" 

While picking his nose Caney anwers himself - "Yeh, why not?"

After the inevitable finger flick Caney can be seen scratching his head.  And by this time CaneySelf enters the picture.

CaneySelf to Caney - "You know you shouldn't you gotta watch them carbs and you know you are going to hit that chocolate cobbler hard!"

Caney (head held real low) mumbling - "Yeh, I know"

Caney (now barely audible) - "Danged conscience!"

Caney now scratching other body parts so he can think better gets one of those light bulbs aside his head - "AHA - A grand idea!"

CaneySelf (now curious and rather leery of Caney's "ideas") - "Ok, give - out with it!"

Caney with a sparkle in his eye and a impish grim - "I know how to have lasagne and not have to deal with all them nasty carbs!"

CaneySelf (getting perturbed and cautious) - "I figured so much - but out with it!"

Caney now with a devilish smile, and a quick step, turns suddenly and with a cute twitch of his little derriere leaves CaneySelf - sulking.

First slice up some pork loin with the grain (lengthwise) into very thin slices.  These are your "noodles".  It is easier to use a long slicer knife and slightly frozen loin.  Maybe a good slicer machine will work even better - but didn't have it with me.  Next time I will try it sliced across grain.  The rest of the ingredients are typical for lasagne.   As I thought of this at the last minute, I did not have all the ingredients for a typical lasagne and just made do.  It was pretty good - but the potential to be real good is there.  It took about 4 hours to reach 165 in the smoker at 225 to 250.  Did not put the top cheese on until almost done - did not want that crispy and browned.  Sorry about there not being all that many pics - but for those bbq's I cook upwards of 15 and more dishes, and don't have too much time to take pics. 

First layer of sauce on bottom, layer of loin and some italian sausage before cheese and sauce (all I had was Vodka Sauce)

Almost to the top

Pic of sliced lasagne with bobo steak.  When warm, could actually eat it with a plastic fork.  When cooled you needed a plastic knife.  Maybe with the meat sliced across grain, only a fork may be needed.

Close up - you can see it needs lots more sauce, ricotta (I forget to add it),  and could do with more sausage - all I had was a pound - and would be killer with some mushrooms, capers, olives, basil leaves, etc.....   I could also see done Southwest style with chorizo, a layer or two of green chilis, a white sauce, and other tex-mex things. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Mike that looks killer somehow I went off the deep end with this one. cut across the grain Canadian Bacon, scrambled eggs, hot italian nacho cheese sauce and shredded CoJack and Motzyrella some green chilies and blk olives. breakfast lasagna
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Now thats a great Idea, I like it and looks awesome!!! Who needs Pasta when yah got Meat :)

ghost9mm

Looks great but I agree, it needs more  italian sausage and sauce...but heck I would eat that chunk of lasagne as is and never bat an eye...lol..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Now that's a meatza pie!  I'd eat a chunk of that!

La Quinta

I like the way you think Caney...brilliant...

Really inventive...

Caneyscud

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 30, 2011, 04:19:52 PM
Mike that looks killer somehow I went off the deep end with this one. cut across the grain Canadian Bacon, scrambled eggs, hot italian nacho cheese sauce and shredded CoJack and Motzyrella some green chilies and blk olives. breakfast lasagna
Now, I have not idea what hot italian nacho cheese sauce is but I'll drink a cup of it!  Breakfast lasagne - now that would be good eats.  hmmmm --- who could I try it out on?  WOWZERS
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

viper125

You guys are the man!!! That looks killer then you had to bring up all the other goodies to add. I'm going to have to try this. And as you know my wife isn't much a meat eater. So I guess it's all mine!!! LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SnellySmokesEm

Caney - Thats a thing of beauty right ther!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 01, 2011, 08:39:53 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 30, 2011, 04:19:52 PM
Now, I have not idea what hot italian nacho cheese sauce is but I'll drink a cup of it!  Breakfast lasagne - now that would be good eats.  hmmmm --- who could I try it out on?  WOWZERS
Was pose to be Hot Italian sausage and nacho cheese sauce. Do like I do make it and take it to work. The guys at work will eat anything.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 05, 2011, 02:45:39 PM
QuoteNow, I have not idea what hot italian nacho cheese sauce is but I'll drink a cup of it!  Breakfast lasagne - now that would be good eats.  hmmmm --- who could I try it out on?  WOWZERS
Was pose to be Hot Italian sausage and nacho cheese sauce. Do like I do make it and take it to work. The guys at work will eat anything.

I have a niece who make a Ro-Tel Dip. She uses Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, but you could easily replace it with hot Italian sausage:

Ro-Tel Dip
Brown 1 lb sausage and drain well.
Melt 2lbs. cubed Velveeta cheese.
Add sausage and 1 can Ro-tel.

She usually does it  in a crockpot but can be done on stove top.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

That is a vegan's worst nightmare  :o

But I love it  :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Great idea Caney!

Just might havta give the pork noodles a shot next time I make Lasagna.