I want to be like MIKE! PICS ADDED

Started by smokeNcanuck, December 07, 2011, 05:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

Thanks in part(large part) to Mr. Walleye's fantastic post on some SS recently, I though I would do some experimenting myself.
So my plan was / is  to let the SS hang for two days at 100F then cook to 152IT then hang in cold cellar for a couple of weeks.
I started by mixing up a small 5lb batch of 100% beef SS using one of my fav. pre made mixes and let sit in fridge overnight.
Next day I stuffed(in casings that were almost too long for the OBS) hung in OBS set at 100F(PID) and rolled the smoke for
2hrs&20min.  Swapped out the water for clean water and went to bed, after PMing Mr. Walleye for some advise. THANKS MIKE!!
That bring us to this evening, it has almost been 24hrs, OBS holding steady at 100, SS has picked up some really nice color.
I am hoping the SS develops a nice "tang".  I also put some Gouda in half the batch which I have never done so will see how that goes :o :o
SORRY no pic as of yet, was rushing to get them stuffed and in to the smoker, but I will snap some off and update this post...

I may just hit them again with some smoke tomorrow when I stat finish cooking them??  What do you think about that??
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Mr Walleye

SNC

Sounding good so far!

I wouldn't be scared to add a little more smoke the second day. Maybe 1 or 2 hours depending on your taste for smoke. You don't want to over smoke it either. I typically go with 3 to 4 hours on my sausage anyway.

Lookin' forward to pictures for sure.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

Don't want to be a downer or doubting Thomas. I know Mike knows what he's doing from what I've read. I guess this is more of a question to Mike. I thought the cure was to prevent Botulism between 40 and 140 up to 4 hours. But your keeping meat at 100 degrees for a long time. How's that work. Does this contain cure # 2
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

anthony

This sounds good, can't wait for some pics. 

smokeNcanuck

viper125, no cure#2 only cure#1.
The package of SS I bought states:  cold smoke between 80-90F for 2 days, then hang to dry for two weeks.
It comes with cure, sodium nitrite(cure#1) only.  Now I have not followed these instruction, but did call the mfg. and was
assured that it was totally safe(this is how the local mennonites make there SS).  I however do not  feel comfortable with out cooking the end product to at least 152F.
If you go back and look thru Mr.Walleye's post there is a link to some good info.  I don't know that I am right or not but I am totally confident that the process I just did
is safe.  However If I'm not here tomorrow than I guess I was wrong. :o(I ate half a chub tonight).

Well I ended up hanging it at 100F for approx. 29hrs. At that time I applied another 1hr of smoke and started raising the temp to finish cook.
It took right around another 12hrs to finish to 152IT.(did a slow ramp to 170)  I then hung them in my cool cellar, where I will leave them for a few days.
I did get it to one tonight, just could not wait any longer ;D

My thoughts are:  This method defiantly produced a product closer to the SS I am use to buying.
                            The out side of the chubs have a really firm "skin"(which I like)
                            Good amount of "tang" but would like a little more.
                            end product was quite shrunk and wrinkled (maybe did not stuff tight enough??) but would make sense as probably lost a lot of moisture hanging at
                            100F for 29 hrs.

I would try this method again in the future, assuming I live to try again.  Will vac pack in a few days and then let sit till christmas, see how the flavors develop.  I am really
looking forward to trying the stuff i put the Gouda in, as I have never tried putting cheese in SS before.  long enough post!!

PICS

viper125

Well sure looks good! Do you mind telling me what premade one you used?
Inside setup.

smokeNcanuck

No problem, however it is from a small butcher supply place here in canada.
If you want some I could send you some, just PM me and we could work it out.

Mr Walleye

SNC

Looks excellent!  8)

Viper

Here is the post I made in another thread regarding cure #1. Once you bring the sausage up to temp cure #1 can protect it for up to 2 weeks. The reason for the long run at 90 or 100 degrees is to increase the the acidic flavor to get the tang flavor.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25589.msg308241#msg308241

I also posted a link in the response just above the one in the link. Lots of good info.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

Thanks Guys! This is a subject I want to get more into. I have a lot to learn. But right now I have to leave so as soon as I get the chance to reference these places and info you gave me I'm sure i'll have more questions. But for now Thank You very much!
Inside setup.

smokeNcanuck

well got in to the cheese one last night an it is really good!
I will most defiantly be adding cheese again, and maybe some jal's next time.
Thanks again mike!