Xmas Cheer

Started by weedenb, December 09, 2011, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedenb

Put the wife on a plane this morning headed to the southern hemisphere and I'm planning on a few days to to get some stuff done before she gets back ;D

First, a bunch of Kenai reds that need some Kummok treatment

Then some Coho's that are just begging to do the cold smoke lox exercise

Maybe something with this mystery meat I picked up awhile back. Jerky or feed it to the dogs?

Please don't chew me out if I don't respond right away, I'm just having Fun!

Tenpoint5

Jerky will do just fine
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tsquared

It looks as tho you are going to have some time well spent!
T2

weedenb

Just an update, I'm still having fun! A few glitches but things are back on track.

My main Auber PID (SYL-2352) went south on me when I went to fire things up for the first batch of Sockeye. Lit up for a few seconds on start but then went dark before I could start my salmon program >:( I'm also running a SYL-1512 as a supervisor in limit switch mode and its still running fine (setup pretty much like Mr Walleye's) so I had to do an inflight repair and swapped over the SSR leads to the 1512 and reprogrammed to PID mode. Fortunately I did rig the Bradley SG with a manual mode switch so she's happily burning alder pucks right now. Looks like I'll be flying VFR for the time being but at least I still have temp control. Although its balmy by our standards (34F), that's getting a bit close to the Auber operating specs of 32F minimum?

Note to self (use a bigger J-box next time stupid) those little terminal screws are tough enough!

My Kummok'd salmon were oblivious as they were still in the drying stage. (Question, is Kummok'd a verb or adjective?)

Anyway, making smoke and moving along. I'll post how it turns out.

weedenb

All is well so far, step 1 bagged and tagged...

I'm running a bit behind but hopefully can catch up!

Keymaster

Good looking batch of Salmon!!!

weedenb

Time for the next victims, I'm thinking cold smoked lox..........

weedenb

Coho's are happily reducing water content, hard to belive they were just salt and brown sugar dry packed a few hours ago!

I have another batch of sockeye to do after these and then maybe I'll get to the other red meat. Might need some advice on the jerky, I have cure #1, #2, Morton TQ and a bag of LEM's Backwood's handy. Should I do something from scratch or would the LEM's be a good newbe starter? (I should post this over in the jerky section but the fish still needs to be done first)

Thanks!

weedenb

Coho's doing a bit of soak

Then some dry, hopefully I'll get them smoked and bagged tonight.

weedenb

Coho's are done, now I just need to finish off the rest of the sockeye  :P

weedenb

Plucking pin bones is not a good way to spend your time off! My buddy thinks Kummok just says that in the recipe and doesn't really do it all the time??

Keymaster

Quote from: weedenb on December 15, 2011, 04:36:14 PM
Plucking pin bones is not a good way to spend your time off! My buddy thinks Kummok just says that in the recipe and doesn't really do it all the time??

thats Hilarious, I'll pluck my own pin bones but if someone  ask me to smoke their fish they get a good rinse and trimmin, thats it :)

weedenb

Uff da!! another batch of sockeye moving along.

(more notes to self - running out of alder biscuits!)

squirtthecat

Good golly!   At least you are staying properly hydrated...    ;)

Quarlow

Just a question Weedenb, Why do you soak the fish? Is it to salty for you? I have not done Kummok's recipe yet but don't remember that step in his process. I dry brine so you need to rinse the undissolved salt off but I don't soak at all. By the way awesome looking fish. As for pin bones, for me they have to be removed no matter what. Nothing worse than taking bite and getting a mouthful of bones that you now have to pick out of your mouth. No big deal when you are by yourself but it is hard to be graceful in company. Not that there is much graceful about me anyways. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.