• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first attempt at makin' bacon (Update)

Started by cgaengineer, December 13, 2011, 06:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaengineer

I am using the "basic cure" for this recipe but I added brown sugar, garlic and molasses after the dry rub of basic cure.

Soaking Saturday and going in smoker on Sunday

Oh I cured some corned beef as well...I use a sirloin tip roast for the corned beef.

The bacon is awesome and so was the corned beef. Thanks for looking...
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

cgaengineer

I dont know why these photos are showing up so large...I have resized them twice on photobucket...grrrrr

Now they are smaller....
Weber Genesis (Black) Vertical Gas Smoker (Wanna upgrade to a Bradley), Anvil SLR7012 meat slicer, KitchenAid Meat grinder and sausage stuffer.

SiFumar

Looks like you're off to a great start!  There is no turning back now!

Habanero Smoker

Those are some really nice bellies.

When I post pictures I usually resize them to 640 x 480.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cgaengineer

I first sized them to 740 and for some reason it didn't update so I went back and made them even smaller....then I saw the 640 versions...a few moments later I saw the 400px version...lol

Thanks for the visit fellas

Friar_Tuck

That is going to be a treat!
Looks like you are about to slip over the edge, never to be able to go back!
Jim

cgaengineer

Quote from: Friar_Tuck on December 14, 2011, 03:20:33 AM
That is going to be a treat!
Looks like you are about to slip over the edge, never to be able to go back!
Jim

I've cured other meat, but this is my first time for regular bacon. We are counting the days until finished!

I have family already asking for some...I'm going to tell them it's spoiled!

jiggerjams

Those are great looking bellies. That will be excellent bacon on Christmas morning.

cgaengineer

Sorry no pics of the sliced bacon...it was messy and both mine and my wife's hands were all greasy.

SiFumar

Quote from: cgaengineer on December 18, 2011, 06:44:29 PM
Sorry no pics of the sliced bacon...it was messy and both mine and my wife's hands were all greasy.
That's ok......the fried up pieces look mighty fine!

Habanero Smoker

What internal temperature did you take the corned beef to?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cgaengineer

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 19, 2011, 01:21:03 AM

I cooked it (boiled and simmered) on stovetop for about 4 hours. Why?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: cgaengineer on December 19, 2011, 03:32:27 AM

I see. I though you had smoked it. I got some top round curing and after the corned beef stage I'm going to make pastrami. In the past I have only used brisket and I don't want to over cook the top round, so I planning on around 140?F to 145?F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

micman

Did you hang your bacon or lay it on the racks, I would like to do bacon, just haven't really figured a good way to hang it.

Mick

cgaengineer

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 19, 2011, 01:02:03 PM
Quote from: cgaengineer on December 19, 2011, 03:32:27 AM

I see. I though you had smoked it. I got some top round curing and after the corned beef stage I'm going to make pastrami. In the past I have only used brisket and I don't want to over cook the top round, so I planning on around 140?F to 145?F.

140 for pastrami is good...I have made it several times and it doesn't last around here. Any higher and it's really gonna dry out.