Cheese Questions....

Started by mwilliams7967, December 12, 2011, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwilliams7967

This is my first time smoking cheese. I have read several posts on here stating the ideal temp is around 80 degrees. Is it ok to keep this lower if possible. My next question is after smoking I planned on letting them rest on a countertop, vacuum seal them, and then in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. Is this right, or do I freeze them after sealing them. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

GusRobin

Don't freeze - it will come out terrible. Vac seal and into the fridge. Can last for months, I think some even had some a year or so.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

kelpiedg

The only thing I can say is do not freeze.  It makes your cheese crumble  I for one vac seal after a few hours in the fridge wrapped in a paper towel or something

mwilliams7967

Thanks guys, not gonna freeze!! Any suggestions on the temp?

pensrock

I prefer 85-95 degrees only cause it seems to take on more color. I think the taste will be about the same even at a lower temp. Go for it! I do not vac seal mine, I only allow to cool then plastic wrap and into a zip bag. I got cheese over 1-1/2 years old in the fridge and its perfect. Now it will not keep as long after cutting. The smoke coating makes a great seal. You do want to pat it dry and allow to cool before wrapping or sealing up. Have fun.

Quarlow

Yeah it will keep in the fridge vac sealed for a long time. In fact in NePaS post about meeting the neighbours he cuts up a block of cheese he smoked last december.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Scotty Dog

I just did some cheese for the second time.  2.5 hours with apple pucks at 45 degrees.  It does not add color but the smoke is there.  At this low temp the cheese will not sweat and I can vac seal right out of the smoker.

La Quinta

I do what Scotty does...I am not concerned with the color...you can do that dress up when it comes out if that is important...I used to be concerned about that so I could tell the smoked v non smoked apart...was silly...I just keep them seperate now!!!

DTAggie

I did 15 lbs last weekend, see previous post, and temp was at 60* for 3:40 of smoke.  Color was great.  I let sit then wipe down and vac seal.

mwilliams7967

Thanks everyone, cheese is done and was vacuumed sealed.  I kept the temp right around 70-75 with 2.5 hours of apple smoke.  Now is the hard part to not touch it!!!